Currently reading
Mac hotspot as internet connection for Synology

NAS
DS218play
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have a DS218play with only one ethernet port. I have linked the ethernet port to my MacMini.
How can I use the MacMini wifi access as a hotspot so that the DS218 can have Internet Access?

I had the Synology connected to the router and accessed the files through the Wifi. The router and the MacMini are separated from each other. In order to improve the speed of access to the files (mainly photos), I have connected the Synology directly to the MacMini through an ethernet cable. I have improved the speed of access but the Synology is now isolated without internet access.

I have read that in the MacMini you can create a personal hotspot and that Synology can have access to the internet using the Wifi access of the Mac. Still, I do not know how to configure the MacMini and the Synology so that the later can use the Wifi access of the first one.

Any idea?

Thank you very much

Last edited:
Mac Settings/Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing
1687198010586.png

1687197935723.png

1687197810613.png

1687197900906.png

Mac Settings/Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing
View attachment 12994

View attachment 12990

View attachment 12988

View attachment 12989

Thank you very much!!

I have done it in the Macmini, but internet access in Synology still does not work. Do I have to change any configuration in the Synology Network setup?

Last edited:
I have done it in the Macmini, but internet access in Synology still does not work. Do I have to change any configuration in the Synology Network setup?
If it’s not working then I’d say yes there’s probably something you need to do on the NAS. I have had this working between two Mac Mini’s using Ethernet over Thunderbolt as the inter-Mini connection. The share-er Mini manages the subnet 192.168.2.1/24 between itself and the share-ee Mini. So I would think that the NAS needs to be configured to use automatic network configuration, and it will get the setup from your Mini.

I did investigate to see if it’s possible to have macOS use a different subnet, but I didn’t get anywhere with it. And I don’t want to hack my installation to find out.

Buy a wireless accesspoint with 2 ethernet ports and connect both mac mini and the syno wired to that accesspoint.
internet connection sharing may give troubles eg with VPN and/or syno access.

If it’s not working then I’d say yes there’s probably something you need to do on the NAS. I have had this working between two Mac Mini’s using Ethernet over Thunderbolt as the inter-Mini connection. The share-er Mini manages the subnet 192.168.2.1/0 between itself and the share-ee Mini. So I would think that the NAS needs to be configured to use automatic network configuration, and it will get the setup from your Mini.

I did investigate to see if it’s possible to have macOS use a different subnet, but I didn’t get anywhere with it. And I don’t want to hack my installation to find out.
I have solved the issue. I had assigned a static IP
Thank you a lot for the support

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.