Currently reading
MailPlus HA + disaster fault tolerance

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi everybody. Nice to meet all of yours, this is my first post. Hope all can colabborate with my situation.

Im looking for a production implementation of mailplus server. I have been looking for information and best practices about that. Obviously the first thing that come to my mind when thinking in a fault tolerance escenario its to set up a HA cluster. Thats very clearly to me.

The problem comes when i think in a disaster recovery, such as the site A (where reside the cluster) get a faultly of internet or energy supply for 3 or more hours.

I'been thinking in a Site B, connected by LDAP and where all the mailboxes are already syncronized and updated when Site A shutdown and become inaccesible for clientes. I think to Setting Site B (in mx dns of my domain provider) with a high number prority than Site A will resolve the mail reception, but the sync of mailboxes its my big problem.

Did anyone the same setup? What do you think about connect 2 synology via l2tp and simulate a "local area" connection to perform a HA cluster through VPN?

Thanks for your answers.

Verdog123

Site to site replication can be done using Snapshot Replication package. So you could have a "cold" mail setup ready on your site B location with data being replicated there.

If you need to initiate a failover due to site A being down, you can do it from site B even (in case site A is out of power) and just re-protect data on site B and boot up your mail system. Ofc some DNS changes will need to be made, but data replication will not be an issue.

Thank you Rusty for your reply.

I will test that setup. In DNS i will put Site A static IP with 0 priority and Site B with static ip and priority set to 1. That is enought to properly mail delivery in site A unless its down?
I want (if something happens to cluster site A) to automatic failover mails to site B. So when site A come back to normal activity mails will change again to delivery in site A. How Snapshot replication run in this situation?
When A fails, maybe i need to let the cluster with 5 priority, re-configure the snapshot replication, this time from B to A and then do the failover to maintain all of those mails who was delivered in site B when the A was off?
Hope you can understand me.
This is a setup with 70 clients and its important that mails can be exchanged everyday, so i cant lose any mail and cant let any windows-time with the mailsystem off

Thanks to all!
Regards,
Verdog123

How Snapshot replication run in this situation?
It will not autofail, you will have to do the manual handover and reprotect. Its a backup solution, not so much a HA solution. But it does work great with "live data" so that's why its good for such situations.

When A fails, maybe i need to let the cluster with 5 priority, re-configure the snapshot replication, this time from B to A and then do the failover to maintain all of those mails who was delivered in site B when the A was off?
I get you yes, but again, failing back you will have to have side B configured as main (due to Side A being down), and once you recover site A you can then initiate again manual failover back to site A as your main storage and activate mail service on that side.

This is a setup with 70 clients and its important that mails can be exchanged everyday, so i cant lose any mail and cant let any windows-time with the mailsystem off
maximum replication time gap for Snapshot is 5min. So every 5 min you can have snaps executed between sites. How fast will you react when your site A goes down and switch it to site B will be up to you.

The only auto-switch/failover scenario is when using HA cluster (on premise), but in a case of location B (off-site) you will not be able to use SR tool for auto-failover.

One way you can try is to use site to site VPN and configure a streched HA setup in the same network subnet between 2 locations. Maybe in that situation you can have auto-fail if HA will not detect this as 2 remote locations. I haven't had a way to test this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.