Making Synology Drive Client work through Cloudflare?

Currently reading
Making Synology Drive Client work through Cloudflare?

NAS
DS1019+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
Hello all,

I recently moved to Cloudflare for my home network for the purpose of hiding my IP address. Unfortunately, that seems to have made the desktop Synology Drive Client unable to sync. I know it relies on port 6690 and it is open on my router and redirected to the NAS properly - prior to switching to Cloudflare, everything was working just fine.

Can anyone suggest a way to still protect my IP address, but allow the Drive client to connect to the NAS across the internet - preferably without resorting to a VPN (need to be able to deploy this to less tech-savvy family members' devices).

Thank you!

ЕDIT: To clarify, I don't use Synology Quick Connect, but a domain of my own. I realise now that using the actual IP address does work, but given that there is a slim chance it may be changed by my ISP, I'd really prefer to use the domain name, because in the event of an IP change, I can just update the DNS records and this will ensure all clients still work.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I recently moved to Cloudflare for my home network for the purpose of hiding my IP address. Unfortunately, that seems to have made the desktop Synology Drive Client unable to sync. I know it relies on port 6690 and it is open on my router and redirected to the NAS properly - prior to switching to Cloudflare, everything was working just fine.

Can anyone suggest a way to still protect my IP address, but allow the Drive client to connect to the NAS across the internet - preferably without resorting to a VPN (need to be able to deploy this to less tech-savvy family members' devices).

Thank you!

ЕDIT: To clarify, I don't use Synology Quick Connect, but a domain of my own. I realise now that using the actual IP address does work, but given that there is a slim chance it may be changed by my ISP, I'd really prefer to use the domain name, because in the event of an IP change, I can just update the DNS records and this will ensure all clients still work.
I'm more or less on the same case as you are.

Cloudflare only allows certain ports and protocols through its proxy on the free tier, it's basically web traffic only (I don't know the underlying protocol of the Synology Drive client). Paid tiers can use "spectrum" which I have not investigated much but seems like the higher tier you pay, the more flexibility in the protocols it allows to be proxied.

In any case, opening port 6690 does not seem like the best idea to me, even if it were proxied.

My solution is very rudimentary but works for me:
- I have a VPN server on the lan where synology nas is located
- The PCs with synology drive client connect through the VPN in a "split tunnel" config: only traffic directed to the local network passes through the VPN
- I have split horizon dns, ie a dns server inside the LAN with the same entries as cloudflare but with lan ip addresses, and when connected to the vpn the PC with synology drive client uses this dns server.
- I have port 6690 open in the synology firewall only for lan ip range. So when connected through the vpn the dns resolves to the local ip and port 6690 is available. There is no NAT on the router for port 6690.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.