DS1819+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all,
New DS user here (DS1819+). I have a few terabytes of data in a shared drive that i connect to via Synology Drive on my windows machine. When I reorganize the folders via Synology Drive - some of which have lots of data in them (many files, large files, etc) - the process seems to go quite slowly. I'm wondering - will Drive try to download all the files and move them? Or, will it try to obtain an updated list of all files (there might be many), instead of just issuing commands to move the directories to the server? Many thanks for any thoughts...

I have a few terabytes of data in a shared drive that i connect to via Synology Drive on my windows machine
What does "shared drive" mean exactly in this case?

Also, how are you performing this operation? LAN, WAN? DDNS address, local NAS IP etc?

Thanks Rusty. I meant to say Shared Folder, the way that Synology thinks about it. It is a shared folder on my diskstation running SHR-2. This is all running on my local home gigabit network...

Thanks Rusty. I meant to say Shared Folder, the way that Synology thinks about it. It is a shared folder on my diskstation running SHR-2. This is all running on my local home gigabit network...
Ok so when you start to access those via Drive, do you mean inside the "My Drive" folder or Teams folder? Also, if you are in lan you might want to log into your NAS and use File Station to do those kinds of major manipulations of files.

Drive data is located in the /volume/home/username/Drive location

This particular folder is under Teams, but I assume the same behavior would hold under My Drive. I have indeed been using File Station instead of Drive, once I noticed the problem. However, management in Drive is preferrable in terms of interface. I can see all my folders much better in windows explorer than i can in file station. Beyond that, it raised some concerns in terms of the usefulness of Drive. Google Drive will let you manipulate folders very quickly, and let the backend catch up with it (which happens quite quickly). I was hoping that Synology Drive would operate in a similarly intelligent manner, but it seems quite slow unfortunately, unless i'm doing something wrong...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.