Map shared drive to sub folder with permissions

Currently reading
Map shared drive to sub folder with permissions

NAS
DS1618+ // DS1515+
I have just moved all my files from a windows server to our synology. I'm now trying to get my mappings and permissions set up.

What I would like to do is have a share that is multiple sub folders deep to be the only thing a certain user can access.
\\server\folderA\folderB\ThisFolder
The user "scanner" should only have access to this folder to drop files. I can't figure out how to set permissions for just this folder.

I know I can setup "ThisFolder" directly off the server root and set permissions....but that will break a bunch of links in our accounting software that is already pointing to the multiple depth folder structure.

Is this possible?
Thank you in advance
Guy

I think it can be done, but it is a bit ugly, as permission consistency is lost.
Once you have setup the user Scanner, and created the group Scangroup or something with not access anywhere, you can change the folder access using the file manager on the DS; right click on "Thisfolder" folder and set the permissions on that particular folder for the group Scangroup.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Folder permissions are structured by shared folder, user group.
you break that structure, and there is nothing that reminds you of that In the future, it may be forgotten and you leave an exception plus security risk behind.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.