Mapped Drives in windows not working after less than 24hours

Currently reading
Mapped Drives in windows not working after less than 24hours

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi Everyone. I've had a DS216J for years and never had this issue... then 2 weeks back I did a major upgrade to the DS920+ and I'm experiencing an issue whereby the Mapped Drives in windows become inaccessible after a period of time (usually within 24 hours). The mapped drives still appear in My PC but when I double click them, a window pops up like its going to open the drive and then it immediately closes without an error... that or I get an error saying "an error occurred while reconnecting X:\ to _________________________ Microsoft Windows Network: the local device name is already in use. The connection has not been restored."

I have tried restarting my laptop several times, I have run SFC /scannow until all errors have been corrected and restarted again. DISM shows no issues.
Sometimes restarting the DS920+ restores the connection but this last time it did not.

Interestingly enough I just tried again (i have 3 storage pools setup on this NAS so I tried the 2nd pool) and there I am getting a "Y:\ is not accessible. The username or password is incorrect." I have the credentials saved and they worked for hours and I have not changed any of the accounts on the 920+..... I went back to the first volume and I am getting the same error there now.

If I drop the mapped drives and readd they will work but this is not feasible. I have backups that automatically run to these drives. (which have not run since I have done this upgrade :-(
Like I said this never happened with the 216j
(DSM interface is fully responsive).
Any idea what could be the culprit?

Maybe the NAS IP address has been changed by DHCP server from your router?
In this case you may need to assign NAS a fixed IP, esp. from router admin/interface, because even if you set this fixed IP from NAS, if it idle or hibernated, it could be detached/discarded from router DHCP server and assign that IP to another device, e.g. if you have visitors/party at home connected to your (WiFi) router.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Good point. I'm also thinking the NAS doens't have a fixed IP address.
/hand
hope this helps. PS: I just revised the reply above.

To assign a fixed to NAS, there may also have a dilemma, i.e. your router doesn't have the capacity to assign a fixed IP to device(e.g. NAS). In this case, maybe you can try a higher number at NAS's admin, e.g. instead of 192.168.1.10 ==> 192.168.1.210 (hope you don't have >200 devices/people come to party :)

Upvote 0
your router don't have the capacity to assign a fixed IP to device(e.g. NAS)
That would be a terrible router...

If it's then possible to 'shrink' the DHCP range in the router settings, then the NAS could be then just simply have an IP assigned outside of the DHCP range (but still within the subnet).

Upvote 0
Maybe the NAS IP address has been changed by DHCP server from your router?
In this case you may need to assign NAS a fixed IP, esp. from router admin/interface, because even if you set this fixed IP from NAS, if it idle or hibernated, it could be detached/discarded from router DHCP server and assign that IP to another device, e.g. if you have visitors/party at home connected to your (WiFi) router.
Hey guys thanks for replying. My NAS has a static IP. Both network ports are bonded to the same Static IP. When I mapped the drives I used the \\NAS Name\Shared File name.... not the IP.

I'll check out those links and give those a try :)

Upvote 0
would that be a problem with a setting in the NAS or the laptop?
When I go to IE and type in the static IP i get the DSM page
If it cannot resolve from yourNASname => IP like i wrote her:

It maybe a problem that your router doesn't have the capacity as DNS server(esp. Name server), but all these just my guess to help... pls check in Windows if it can resolve the NASname => IP first.

Anyway, if you can access by IP, the quick & dirty solution is to replace your network mapping with IP instead of NASname.

Upvote 0
Last edited:

It maybe a problem that your router doesn't have the capacity as DNS server(esp. Name server), but all these just my guess to help... pls check in Windows if it can resolve the NASname => IP first.

Anyway, if you can access by IP, the quick & dirty solution is to replace your network mapping with IP instead of NASname.
This is brand new WIFI6 Gaming router that was over $500 so I would assume it can be a Name Server. Let me look at the settings. I mainly got it for the link aggregation to a switch i will be buying. But since this is being super annoying and the Static ip routing approach should work I will just do that. I want to look at your other post later to fix the underlying issue
-- post merged: --

I got them mapped with the IP address. Hopefully that sticks for more than a day. Thank you!
-- post merged: --

/hand
hope this helps. PS: I just revised the reply above.

To assign a fixed to NAS, there may also have a dilemma, i.e. your router doesn't have the capacity to assign a fixed IP to device(e.g. NAS). In this case, maybe you can try a higher number at NAS's admin, e.g. instead of 192.168.1.10 ==> 192.168.1.210 (hope you don't have >200 devices/people come to party :)
Windows 10.
It happens a lot, see for links how to possibly solve, my other post dated yesterday : NAS vanishes from network in windows explorer
You are right SMB was disabled as a windows feature and I did recently install a windows update that started this all.
Hopefully the IP Address dosnt not need SMB to continue to function.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.