Max HDD size on DS218play?

NAS
DS118
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello: Anybody know what the maximum HDD capacity of my DS218play is? Tried a search of the forum and Google but didn't find anything definitive. I've seen 12, 16, 108TB in various places. Is there any reason the HDD capacity would be limited to a certain value by the hardware/file system of the DS218play?

Thanks,

Keith

Thanks Telos (again)! Yes, I understand the sometimes quoted values of 8TB, 10,TB, 12TB, 14TB, 16TB may simply represent the size drives that have been tested and found to work. I see they list a "maximum volume size" of 16TB for 32 bit systems and 108TB for 64 bit systems. Would this be the effective limit of the hard drive size?

Officially:

108TB relates to the volume size not the underlying hardware drive size. But at present that's impossible to achieve in your 2-bay NAS. If you move those disks to a bigger NAS then you can expand the array.

Ok, now I'm confused. What would limit the volume size on my NAS to less tha 108TB?

Just the fact that you cannot buy a HDD large enough for the 108TB Volume limit on your DS218play to be an issue.

A volume size has to sit inside the HDD capacity available.

This article may help:

:)

No problem. Even Synology have admitted that DSM 6 is less than clear when it comes to the hierarchy from HDD(s) capacity > RAID(s) > Storage Pool(s) > Volume(s) > Shares > Folders. I understand that DSM 7 makes more effort to display this order more clearly and not rely on assumed knowledge.

Cool. But I thinks I'll stay with DSM6 until all the bugs are worked out in 7 (;))

Ok, now I'm confused. What would limit the volume size on my NAS to less tha 108TB?
I think the maximum HDD I've seen are 18TB, so a 2-bay NAS could either build an array (storage pool) that spans across the two drives or an array that mirrors the two drives, so: either 36TB or 18TB, respectively.

The volume or volumes would then be created using the array's available storage. So...

One or more HDD => one Storage Pool => one or more Volume

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.