Me again......This time its Unmanic

NAS
DS916+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello all,

I've just found a really useful video converter that runs inside Docker, automatically scans new video downloads from Sonarr and Radarr, then converts them to H265.

The best part is that I got it running on my own first try. :ROFLMAO:

Anyways, I'm not linked in anyway to him, I just wanted to share the feature with all you folks.

Unmanic

Last edited:
Congrats, but re-encoding to H265 is lossy, so unless disks space is more meaningful than quality, I would leave things as they are... that, and the fact that NAS CPUs are generally underpowered for these tasks.

Congrats, but any re-encoding to H265 is lossy, so unless disks space is more meaningful than quality, I would leave things as they are... that, and the fact that NAS CPUs are generally underpowered for these tasks.

To be fair I've always steered clear of re-encoding, but I've just tried this on a 4K version of Bourne and it reduced the file size from 55gb down to 16gb, and I genuinely can not see any quality difference. It did take awhile though for my poor NAS to churn it out. :LOL:

Overall I'm really happy with the results.

Good to see those data points. What was the original video codec? Roughly how long did the re-encode take (I presume this ran on the DS916+)?

I trust that would reduce your streaming bandwidth accordingly assuming your view screen can accommodate H265 without a transcode.

Last edited:
Good to see those data points. What was the original video codec? Roughly how long did the re-encode take (I presume this ran on the DS916+)?

I trust that would reduce your streaming bandwidth accordingly assuming your view screen can accommodate H265 without a transcode.

Hi,

To be honest I only made note of what it said in Unmanic as it converted it; H264. I'm not that clued up regarding video codecs etc, but I'm hoping with this I can lower file size whilst keeping relatively high quality. Fingers crossed, but I'll keep you posted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.