Me again......This time its Why different Docker packages?

Currently reading
Me again......This time its Why different Docker packages?

NAS
DS916+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello all,

I've been busy understanding Dockers and have just managed to setup and configure SabnzbdVPN which is a great little tool.

I currently have Emby running in a Docker and pay for the Premier option. I'm considering moving to JellyFin which is open source, even with the lack of native app support, however my question is; why there are so many different docker image options? I appreciate for example with SabnzbdVPN it has a VPN bundled with it, however looking for JellyFin there are several to choose from. How do you choose which version to go with? Why not just download (if available) direct from the developers?

Thanks.

Coz not all images are published brim developers or companies. Also some images are more up to date and maintained by 3rd party then the next one. Most open source images have a lot of forks. Stick with the one that’s most up to date and documented well.

why would you run emby in a docker when there is a native app?

Hello,

I like the convenience they offer, the ability to keep everything contained rather than spread all around the system, being able to see resources used at a glance, isolate root issues in the container variables and the ease of updating.

But each to their own.

native app should always be the preference over docker.
Maybe in a real Linux OS. But here, I don't want to deal with a myriad of support packages and dependencies that may or may not break under DSM. But I do agree for an "all-in" package like Plex, it is better to go with the package over Docker.

native app should always be the preference over docker.
Why so? A docker container is nothing else then a fenced process on the host. It is a direct sibling of a native process, just with restrictions of what it is allowed to see from the system (Namespaces) and what ressources it is allowed to use (CGroups). The overhead is so minimal that the benefit of clean isolation outwight the typicaly unnoticable performance penelty. Some containers might be troublesome to start, especialy if you need to use device (as in GPU and usb devices), appart from those, everything else is easy to operate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.