Memory upgrade for DS418play

Currently reading
Memory upgrade for DS418play

NAS
DS4l8play, DS202j, DS3623xs+, DSM 7.3.3-25847
Recently updated memory from the stock 1x2GB to 2x4GB. Pretty simple process. I'm using Crucial 4GB, 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-14900, Item model number CT4G3S186DJM.

I read that one can install 2x8GB of memory, but I also stumbled into reports, that although the DS reports 16GB of memory, it only uses 8GB. So I opted for the conservative side, recognizing that for me, going from 2GB to 8GB would be significant in itself.

I'm running Synology's memory test now... it seems to be a long effort ⏳

My DS218+ is running a single Crucial stick to take it from the default 2GB RAM to 6GB. My average utilisation is 40-45%, but I don't run lots of Docker services. Mail Server's ClamAV eats 500MB in idle mode.

From googling it seems the DS218+'s 2GB slot can also be used to take upgrades, but I didn't want to disassemble the whole thing. I know all about matched pairs etc. but so far it's been rock solid.

@Telos, snap! Same stick I used too Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1866 SODIMM Memory for Mac (CT4G3S186DJM)

After 4+ hours the memory check completed/passed (?), or at least I didn't see any error notification.

I have unchecked "Memory Compression" FWIW (I could probably use that feature myself though).

1iYnlJR.png

So, I have DS418play and thinking about RAM upgrade.

As far as I know, I need DDR3L-1866 SO-DIMM 204pin 1.35V.

My NAS is almost one year old and thinking if it's better to buy official Synology RAM or to go with cheaper Crucial? (I'd like to add 4GB of RAM)

Also, I can read here it's not recommended to mix official and non-official RAM sticks (so like Synology and Crucial).

Ok, thanks. Do the RAM needs to be 1866 or it's ok to have 1600. Actually, I can't find DDR3L-1866 SO-DIMM 204pin 1.35V in our stores... (!?).

Maybe I need to write them for a custom order.

So that'd be the one both @Telos and I used. As far I can remember, I've only ever used Crucial memory modules to upgrade my Macs, and now DSM NAS. Never had a problem with it ... and Macs were supposed to be very fickle.

I have the official Synology RAM module in the DS218+'s inaccessible slot (teardown to replace it) and the Crucial module in the accessible slot. Did the upgrade a few days after getting the NAS last year and had no issues with it.

Recently updated memory from the stock 1x2GB to 2x4GB. Pretty simple process. I'm using Crucial 4GB, 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-14900, Item model number CT4G3S186DJM.

I read that one can install 2x8GB of memory, but I also stumbled into reports, that although the DS reports 16GB of memory, it only uses 8GB. So I opted for the conservative side, recognizing that for me, going from 2GB to 8GB would be significant in itself.

I'm running Synology's memory test now... it seems to be a long effort ⏳
I tried this same RAM in the same series Syno and once it's in...blue light flashing no boot? Am I not waiting long enough? Have tried swapping sticks, single boot with it, does not work. Once I out system back into a normal state before adding the memory, it boots.

Please help

Sanity check: Are you certain the memory is completely in? Try just one stick alongside the original 2GB RAM. FWIW, I've since moved onto 16GB RAM
I tried swapping the sticks, placing only the new stick in the slot as the original and still no boot. Used the same link provide by others for this unit on Amazon...

Crucial 4GB Single DDR3/DDR3L 1866 MT/s (PC3-14900) Unbuffered SODIMM 204-Pin Memory - CT51264BF186DJ​

Everything lines up like it is supposed to with what should be ordered, but will not boot. Any advice? I do not have another unit to test to RAM itself in, but doing a return at this point as I feel like it may have been a bad stick? Any additional input before the return, I am willing to try. I did notice after replacing the sticks, the unit with teh OEM 2GB does take a little longer to boot and then the unit finally comes online.

Taking asecond look, the only thing I can think of is that this stick in unbuffered? But this is the part number that's being thrown around that's supposed to work on this unit specifically and most other units. Placing a unit info screenshot to see if there's a difference in systemboards vice what's in this unit?

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 1.50.47 PM.png

How long have you been running the 16GB set? Any issues thus far? for now, looking into re-ordering the same set as what's in the photos you posted. Lifesaver.

Last edited:
IIRC, about a year... but FWIW, I cannot locate the purchase invoice for these. I logged into NewEgg to check my history, and they appeared under "buy again", but when I searched all invoices they do not show up. Lately I've been buying from NE without logging in, but I'm generally meticulous about my receipts.

EDIT: You may find this helpful
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

IIRC, about a year... but FWIW, I cannot locate the purchase invoice for these. I logged into NewEgg to check my history, and they appeared under "buy again", but when I searched all invoices they do not show up. Lately I've been buying from NE without logging in, but I'm generally meticulous about my receipts.

EDIT: You may find this helpful
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Telos,

thanks for the help, waiting on the 8GB set I ordered to see how it goes. This RAM is getting harder to find as I've learned through all of this; at least the Crucial brand anyways. I did find others, off name, and at least 2-3 other brands I'm very familiar with. However, with the not knowing and my current location...there's no real-time to test and troubleshoot. Just need to keep this thing up at this point as have the RAM to support some of the Docker packages I'm trying to run alongside Plex and Photos.

I ordered the Crucial 2x8gb set. And after installing both dimms I started getting unexpected restarts (crashes)

• I have run memory test and memory passes
  • I have install each singular 8gb dim into each slot on the board and run for days without issue.
  • I have swapped the dimms into the other slot also same result.

I am going to try and pair the 8 and the 4gb original expansion dimm to see if that works

Not sure if anyone else have experienced this?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.