DSM 7.1 Merge shared and private space on user level?

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 Merge shared and private space on user level?

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
HI!

Slightly neewbie here. I wonder if the following can be done.

I would like to have a shared family folder that each user can access and edit. Then each user would also have a personal space which displays in the same "folder" as the shared family folder if that makes sense.

To clarify. Let's say that our family album has thousands of pictures ranging from year 2005 to present that were taken with a system camera. Let's say that that all my photos from my mobile phone are from 2015 to present. When I'm logged in as myself with user permissions I would like to see both the family photos and my own photos mixed in the timeline view. If my wife is logged in she would see the family album and her mobile photos but not mine and vice versa except if I'm logged in as administrator.

Is this possible? I tried adding a folder in the same root folder as all the shared photos when logged in as user, and this does show up e.g. in my Photos mobile app. But if I click properties for that specific folder and then permissions, in the drop down meny I chose "Permissions Inspector" it looks like I'd be able to remove a users read/write for a certain folder but nothing happens when I click the box regardless of if I'm logged in as user or admin.

Any ideas how to make this work?
Thanks

Thanks @Rusty !

I don't know if I have. I tried a bit more and got sort of half way.

I have three accounts: "admin", "me" and "wife"

In File Station under "Photo" I have three folders: "Shared Photos", "My photos", "Wife's photos" (they are not actually called that :) )

In the Photos app if I log in as admin under "Settings/Shared Space/Set Access Permissions" I can set the Access Level for accounts "me" and "wife" to "Custom". Then I click assign and I can set permissions for each of the three folders. So for the account "wife" I tick all the boxes for "Shared photos" and "Wife's photos" and for myself "My photos" and "Shared photos".

When I log in to each of our accounts in the app Photos this does work. Under shared space I see both the "Shared photos" folder and "My photos" folder......

BUT...all of a sudden I don't have permission to show the photos in timeline view!!

Have I done this all wrong or is it simply not possible?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Have I done this all wrong or is it simply not possible?

Have you enabled "home" folders for each user (Advanced User Settings)?
Are you uploading individual phone pics by the Synology photos app (Synology Photos phone app)?
Have you considered using each users "Home" space for their individual phone pics (which Synology calls "Personal Space" in the upper left corner)?

Screenshot 2023-01-19 141901.jpg

I run the Photo package on my NAS and "Photos" phone app and can accomplish what you are suggesting by using user "home" folders.

Creating user permissions for sub-folders in the Photos package seems like a very awkward way of getting done what I think you are trying to do.

Upvote 0
In the Photos app if I log in as admin under "Settings/Shared Space/Set Access Permissions" I can set the Access Level for accounts "me" and "wife" to "Custom". Then I click assign and I can set permissions for each of the three folders. So for the account "wife" I tick all the boxes for "Shared photos" and "Wife's photos" and for myself "My photos" and "Shared photos".

When I log in to each of our accounts in the app Photos this does work. Under shared space I see both the "Shared photos" folder and "My photos" folder......

BUT...all of a sudden I don't have permission to show the photos in timeline view!!

Using shared spaces and invidually give custom permissions to users own folder, will take away timeline and some other features (maybe facial recognition?) since you need to have full control.

To separate personal photos from shared, you should put it into the photos folder of the users’ specific home folder. Downside is that personal and shared won’t all be on the same timeline, and facial will also show separately between personal and shared.
-- post merged: --

I run the Photo package on my NAS and "Photos" phone app and can accomplish what you are suggesting by using user "home" folders.
I think the op’s premise was to have a single timeline view to view both personal and shared spaces together; which doesn’t exist today.

Upvote 0
In File Station under "Photo" I have three folders: "Shared Photos", "My photos", "Wife's photos"
As it was already answered, this was your 1st mistake. Personal images are under Personal space, and that means on the File Station level it is inside the /home/username/Photos path. The root /photos folder is for shared content that will be shared via the Shared space once activated.

Also, there is no need to give permissions via File Station, you can (and should) set it all via the Photos UI.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.