Metadata for home videos?

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi there,

I've been searching around the internet for the answer to this - and as I see many of you are familiar with metadata and information, I thought I would ask here.

I'm trying to figure out why Video Station won't see/display any of the metadata I add to my home videos. I use MacOS and Subler/Handbreak to do my meta data and encoding (respectively). If I open the videos in any other player on MacOS (iTunes, VLC, Finder, Subler, iFlicks), all see the metadata correctly (including cover images I select). But Video Station ignores that entirely - it can't see any of it. And, for that matter, it also is not visible in the File Explorer in the DSM - just the same thumbnail snap from somewhere in the video.

Is there a particular standard/format of the metadata that Video Station/DSM sees and understands?

Any other information you need, do shout. Videos are in multiple formats - wmf, MP4, M4V etc - but usually MP4 HEVC compatible with Apple devices. NAS is using the latest OS.

Thanks!

I don't believe embedded tags are read by Video Station. The Video Info Plugin support is limited to The MovieDB and this is done automatically, then you have to go through the mistakes and fix it. Since home movies are personal to you then you won't find suitable tagging in TMDB.

Upvote 0
Hi there,

I've been searching around the internet for the answer to this - and as I see many of you are familiar with metadata and information, I thought I would ask here.

I'm trying to figure out why Video Station won't see/display any of the metadata I add to my home videos. I use MacOS and Subler/Handbreak to do my meta data and encoding (respectively). If I open the videos in any other player on MacOS (iTunes, VLC, Finder, Subler, iFlicks), all see the metadata correctly (including cover images I select). But Video Station ignores that entirely - it can't see any of it. And, for that matter, it also is not visible in the File Explorer in the DSM - just the same thumbnail snap from somewhere in the video.

Is there a particular standard/format of the metadata that Video Station/DSM sees and understands?

Any other information you need, do shout. Videos are in multiple formats - wmf, MP4, M4V etc - but usually MP4 HEVC compatible with Apple devices. NAS is using the latest OS.

Thanks!
Like you, I tried and failed using VS. After wasting way too many frustrating hours, I installed the Plex Media Server package on my Synology NAS and never looked back. Movies, TV shows, music, music videos, and photos all organized, tagged, and viewable/listenable on all types of devices.

I bought a lifetime PlexPass and use its many features nearly every day.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the very quick reply. I appreciate it.

So Video Station would want us to go through and use it to manually enter all the metadata? That would be... annoying!

Is there a video player for Synology that does read embedded metadata?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Are you adding metadata manually through the Video Station package? Synology typically ignores metadata contained in the media file.
So Video Station would want us to go through and use it to manually enter all the metadata?
For personal files, this is the only way!
Is there a video player for Synology that does read embedded metadata?
Have you looked at Plex? Or Jellyfin?

Upvote 0
Are you adding metadata manually through the Video Station package? Synology typically ignores metadata contained in the media file.

For personal files, this is the only way!

Have you looked at Plex? Or Jellyfin?
Thanks very much for the replies :)

I'm not using Video Station to add the metadata - I'm adding it in Subler before putting it onto the drive (after I've compiled the videos) - so that explains that!

I haven't looked at the other options yet (Plex I have heard of, but not Jellyfin). I didn't want to try those until I had checked with people who knew more than I do so that I didn't waste my time! Does Plex see the metadata in files?

Upvote 0
Great - thank you! I can enable the local media search for Plex...

Now I just have to work out how to make Plex work (ATM it's telling me it can't open). But nevertheless, I think that's what I needed... thank you. I shall work on sorting out Plex.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.