NAS
DS1621+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Hi.

I need to migrate all data from one Microsoft 365 tenant to another tenant. There is no direct way for tenant2tenant migration provided by Microsoft. Is there a way how we can leverage Synology NAS and probably its Active Backup for Microsoft 365 package to perform that migration? I can backup all data (emails, teams, OneDrive, SharePoint), but as far I as know I cannot restore it to another tenant. Or can I? Is there a workaround such us keeping the data locally, creating a new migration task to the new tenant and restoring it there?

I have personally only tried various restore and replication scenarios (with multiple NAS devices) but only with a single tenant.

Now, considering that you need to go through certain steps in order to connect ABB4M364 with your tenant, and while doing that configure the backup task, same goes when you are relinking the backup task. In that relink process, the tenant is not an option, meaning it relinks to the existing one.

I would say 99% there is no way to backup and relink to another tenant, but I guess a quick relink of the same arhive (clone it 1st) would show you the options that you can use and see if different tenant comes up as an option.

Hi Gents,

After few days testing I can say that tenant2tenant migration is possible.
You'll need to add Community Packages and install SynoCli File Tools
On your computer Putty or WinSCP and DB Browser for SQLite
Run AB for M365 against source and destination
Export users from AAD source & remove domain from tenant
Add domain to destination tenant, import users and export Object Id from destination tenant
Browse NAS folders and modify account.sqlite & task-config.sqlite
Rename backup folders
Update backup task and restore

Hi Gents,

Add domain to destination tenant, import users and export Object Id from destination tenant
Rename backup folders
Tnx for the reply, but lets be clear this is not official method just to be clear for anyone reading this.

Hi Gents,

Rename backup folders

Can you go into more details on how you did this? I have the databases open and whatnot, but, unsure on what you had to do to switch it (and which database items were modified - was it as simple as changing the username and the foldername to match)? Or was there more. Definitely interested in the magic since I need to move a number of accounts from one to another.

Thanks!

Hi Gents,

Rename backup folders
Hello, thanks for the post actually it gave me hope that it can be done. i have done the tenant migration and got stuck on how to restore. i tried your way, but i seem to have missed something in the middle. can you provide a bit more details to it. like what should we replace in the db and all. thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.