DSM 7.1 Microsoft free accounts deleted/gone backup possibilities

NAS
DS 918+, DS1019+, DS1819+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi all,

In the news was that MS sometimes deletes/disables/locks free accounts if they think they found something on their storage that's not in order according to their rules. For synology there is no solution to backup free MS and Google accounts, is there a work around other than go to the paid options?
It would be great if synology should have a client side integration that can backup from those accounts.
Any ideas?

with almost any email client, you connect via IMAP, and export the mails from Gmail/MS, or just copy the IMAP folder to a local one.

On the other hand, why Free? For just 2€/ month you can have professional email hosting that includes your own domain. No-one will be checking your private stuff anymore.

It's not only about emails but people use the free OneDrive storage for all kinds of (personal) files using a free account, when MS locks the account for what reason people's file are all gone (when MS wouldn't open the account up)

Last edited:
@ed.j how did you test this and where did it sync the files from?
The clue was mentioning Cloud Sync twice....
I created a free outlook account and then linked it to Cloud Sync to download the files.
Note this is only the onedrive files. You should be able to download the emails using mailplus or something like that, I don't use it but google is your friend.
-- post merged: --

Personal Vault is a specific folder within OneDrive that has extra encryption. The rest of your OneDrive will sync fine. I have used OneDrive for years (and Cloud Sync happily for a few years ish) but never used the Personal Vault.

Just install Cloud Sync and give it a go.

You can then use Snapshot Replication to keep hourly/daily/weekly/etc copies of the OneDrive folder if you are worried that Microsoft will delete your account. Bear in mind though that Snaphot Replication works for a specific shared folder(s), and cannot be more granular than that, so maybe point your Onedrive to a new dedicated shared folder and use SR to keep it backed up.

e: see you deleted your message - just give it a whirl....

Okay, so if customers want to keep their free onedrive (or other drive) synced to a nas (not their own nas) the nas admin needs to have the login creds for the specific account to setup a sync to the nas

Okay, so if customers want to keep their free onedrive (or other drive) synced to a nas (not their own nas) the nas admin needs to have the login creds for the specific account to setup a sync to the nas

Yes if you want to do it all under one DSM/synology user. How else would DSM connect to the account??

No if you are happy to create a new user for each Microsoft/Onedrive account you want to sync and let people set it up themselves.

PS. Cloud Sync can connect to multiple Microsoft/Onedrive accounts under one DSM user. For eg, I have Cloud Sync installed under my DSM login, and it syncs both mine and my brother's Onedrives to the NAS.

Last edited:
Last week neighbor just brought an HP Envy to me.. Weak System. It had Started life as W8, Geek upgraded it to 10, without email.. It refuses to boot... They have no info other than PIN... HP Recover Fails. I attempted a fresh W10 reload without an email address, and it refused to work... Tried reload again With email address, and It started to load... !! But that was not the plan... (my email)...
It was their old laptop, recently updated to new one.... so nothing was lost.... They offered it to me for parts, so I Pulled Ram & Drive, Erased & Tested Hard drive -- It now resides in shirt pocket USB3 enclosure for them to backing up of their important files.... Laptop pitched. At the time, I was wondering why a W10 with email would attempt to load, but not without email address.....

(I'm running W7-64 and still loving it)...

I know but in syno drive client you can select the onedrive folder (when it's connected locally to the device) to have that folder backed up.

I'm not familiar with Drive but you'd need to ensure that it's not a straight sync - ie, if things get deleted from your Onedrive (by microsoft etc) would they also get deleted from your Syno Drive?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.