Currently reading
Migrate 918+ to 1520+

NAS
DS918+, DS1520+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I am moving from DS918+ 4x4TB to DS1520+ 3x6TB.
I have migrated the 4TB drives to the new NAS. The 6TB drives are being delivered in a few days.
I think that the way to do this is to insert a 6TB in the 5th slot of the 1520+ and create a single disk SHR.
Then move the shares (or copy?) to the new drive. Once moved I remove the original 4 disk pool and add the other two 6TB drives to the second pool, creating 1 redundant disk.
I’ll add two more 6TB drives over the next few months ending up with 24TB.

Or could I somehow copy the data to the new pool without deleting data and then move the original pool back to the DS918+?

The goal is to use the 918+ as an offsite backup. The 1520+ will remain by my iMac for my photo Library. I do have a third 918+ already offsite with everything backed up.

The question is whether I’m on the right track? Or heading for a train wreck?

The question is whether I’m on the right track? Or heading for a train wreck?
Sounds good overall. Data can be moved using the Control Panel > Shared folder > change location option, or you can copy it, it's up to you.

The question here is what's with the apps and their configuration? All apps are now installed on vol1. So before destroying it and removing the drives, be sure that apps are running on the new volume.

Upvote 0
Is there a reason that I shouldn't just remove a 4TB drive at a time, degrading the volume and then let it rebuild with the new 6TB drives? And is it possible to reduce the volume from 4x4TB to 3x6TB? Or does it have to be an equal quantity of physical drives? Would I have to leave one drive in place until I picked up a 4th 6TB drive?

Upvote 0
That's what I thought. Is there a benefit to creating a brand new volume vs. upgrading the existing volume with larger drives? The current volume is already formatted as Btrfs.

Upvote 0
That's what I thought. Is there a benefit to creating a brand new volume vs. upgrading the existing volume with larger drives? The current volume is already formatted as Btrfs.
Only if you need to make a change for the raid type in use.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.