Migrate data from DS918+ to DS1621xs+

Currently reading
Migrate data from DS918+ to DS1621xs+

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
As the subject line suggests, I want to migrate a lot of data from the DS918+ to the DS1621xs+. On the surface this seems like a simple, albeit, time consuming task.... but I'm loosing data.
The file structure of the DS918+ was not optimal, When the DS1621xs+ was put in service, we attempted to improve the file structure. This necessitated moving folders/sub folders from the DS918+ to the new file structure on the DS1621xs+. For the most part the files were compressed on one NAS, & placed on the receiving NAS & extracted. This was not the best way based on what we experienced. Numerous files were not moved.
The NAS devices are on the same network/VLAN. Client PC is WIN 10 Pro 64 bit OS. Based on where I am at now, I would prefer a method which copies the folder/sub folders/files from the DS918+ to the DS1621xs+ & overwrites/replaces any files on the DS1621xs+.
What would be the best way to accomplish this to ensure all data is moved?
Thanks in advance for suggestions.

On the surface that looks like it will work. There are in excess of 4K files to be moved. I will try it & see what happens.
Will advise.
My "goto" tools in that situation is "Winscp" (free) and/or "FreefileSync" (free/donation-ware).
Both should be easily found doing a Google search.

Or copy via a CIFS-mount/(S)FTP in Synology's Filemanager to at "tempoary" folder on destination NAS.
Then move files/directories from that tempoary folder to the final destination with Filemanager.
Windows cann't handle Files/folders nested to deep (path more the 255 characters long), which could be why you are loosing files.
The above tools can. Plus they can compare source/destination directories.

My expierence with "Shared folder sync" is, that if you try to sync "To many" files, you might get "CONFLICT"-files if changes in source files, happends faster then the sync.
Happend to me, while trying to sync almost 30.000 files. But that limtation seems to depend on your NAS-hardware.
After that expierence, I always do a NAS move, with tools where I can follow, and have better control of, what's going on.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.