Migrate from DS409 to DS415+ with one set of HDDs?

Currently reading
Migrate from DS409 to DS415+ with one set of HDDs?

NAS
DS415+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I just bought a used DS415+ to replace my DS409. The plan was to just move the HDDs over to the new enclosure and let it set itself up. Now I have read the articles from Synology on migration and my former assumption doesn't seam so straight forward any more.

What is your advice?

What would happened if I just modes the HDDs to the DS415+ and started it up? Would the files still be there intact?

I recently migrated two HDDs from a DS212 to a DS218+. The HDD migration was listed as not supported on Synology's web site, but in spite of that the migration completed normally and things have "just worked" on the DS218+ since the migration. Frankly, I had more problems w/a HDD migration from the DS218+ to a DS220+, which is listed as fully supported.

I did (based on advice here) back up my DS212 configuration before the HDD swap so I could restore it if need be. During the migration I OK'd the upgrade of the DS218+ to DSM7 (it and the DS212 were on DSM6 when I started the migration).

So things ended well for me, but of course YMMV. It does seem that the compatibility document on the Synology site is probably intentionally conservative about which HDD migration combinations are supported due to general caution and potentially lack of interest in expending testing resources.

Before you start moving your drives and data to the DS415+ be aware that there has been an issue with that NAS and others using the Intel C2000 CPU. Provided the NAS hasn't completely failed yet there is a simple preventative fix that requires the unit to be opened and a resistor soldered to the motherboard. It may already have been applied, but you should check and confirm.

https://community.synology.com/enu/search/posts?query=Intel C2000

data volume is not the issue but dsm and it’s settings/configuration will be
OK, so it should work fine if I don't care about keeping the configuration?
-- post merged: --

What about moving all the data to a temporary load storage? Would that be a safer option? Do you have ideas on where I can store 6TB for a week at the best price?

Last edited:
OK, I'm convinced that it is no good idea to just migrate the current disk to a new NAS. I need to install the DS415+ from scratch. What do you think about this scenario? Will it work?

1. I remove one disk from the DS409 (Running SHR in RAID 5 like configuration).
2. I install that drive in the DS415+ and configure the volume as a SHR storage pool with no redundancy.
3. I copy data from DS409 to DS415+ untill DS415+ is almost full.
4. I remove the last 3 drives from DS409 (and accept deletion of remaining uncopied data)
5. I install the remaining 3 drives in the DS415+ and expand the storage pool (created in step 2) so that it now works similar to Raid 5.

Would you tweak any step in the process?

(updated the post based on comments)

I install that drive in the DS415+ and configure the volume as a Basic storage pool
You can create the SHR volume with the first drive. No need to make that a "Basic" volume initially.

I'd also recommend quick formatting all drives (use a PC) before they are added to the new NAS, so that DSM does not offer to migrate them.

I'd also recommend quick formatting all drives (use a PC) before they are added to the new NAS, so that DSM does not offer to migrate them.
OK, so there is no way of declining migration? I only have laptops, so I have to buy an SATA to USB adapter to format outside the NAS.

Those aren't expensive ($10-$20), and I've always thought having one is a good idea if you are using a NAS. :) Seems like the need will come up.

If you have an old external USB drive around you may be able to cannibalize it.

I had an old 1TB external mini USB drive that I didn't have a particular use for. I took the enclosure apart and removed the SATA to USB connector from it, and gained a serviceable USB>SATA connector for short-term use (format disk, etc). I also have a "real" adapter that I purchased some time back, but I've had times when I needed two adapters for data transfer between two drives and it's been very useful.

RAID and NAS migrations with live data are always risky business. Here's what I would do
  • Go get an internal/external drive that you can keep as a backup for your NAS (should have this anyways)
  • Copy all your DS409 data to the external drive
  • Use winmerge portable to compare the drives (this step will take almost as much time as the copy, but will max out the read speeds of both devices so should be nearly 100MB/s)
  • Once your backup is validated, run your experiment and simply move the DS409 drives to the DS415+. If it works, great! If it doesn't, oh well--just set up the DS415+ new and then copy back the data.
  • Run the winmerge comparison again to validate the DS415+ data with your backup.
  • Make regular backups to the external drive and keep it somewhere safe in case of a disaster. :)
  • Send me your old DS409 if you're not going to use it anymore. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.