migrate HDD

Currently reading
migrate HDD

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Sorry if is on wrong thread, first time here.
at the moment I have DS918+ last 3 years was complete fine but plast 3 days was start just freezing, nothing was work even web interface just restart works for another 30min to 1 hour.
So my suggestion was maybe some wrong file added or some updates. I was look on many online manuals forums etc make make decision to reset NAS.
I was back up all trough hyper backup also system backup and update to latest it was show 7.0.4. xx and up to date.
everywhere was say need one empty HDD i have it so no problem at all.
reset NAS all 4 HDD was take it out just unplug and first was take completely out put empty hdd turn on NAS its come normal wizard i do that just want to update to 7.1.xx version not sure why wasnt offer this in system before but i was done all then create new login details finish setup and turn off put back all older HDD ( yes in same position like before ) and there is problem when I turn on is come back again wizard and want format HDD. its doesnt matter I try its always come installation page with formating HDD,

this happen even i put back empty hdd login to system restore system configuration turn off swap hdd to old one and turn on is come back to installation wizard.

this what I was hope synology call HDD migration.

today I will receive DS920+ but i scare there will be same scenario of HDD problem

did someone know how to help me or has same situation before?
I dont want formating HDD is there 14TB og data.

thanks to all for any help or info

PS: added HDD to new DS920+ and has same issue just ask for install DSM with format HDD but not migration
and I thing that will happen on DS1621+ that I will have Saturday.

PSS: its say this storage pool is an risk because volume 101 is abnormal state and same is on volume 1000

I hope there is way to save this

I was back up all trough hyper backup
So it looks like you tried to move the drives back to the unit that was update to 7.1 before you started to return the drives.

This is fine, but your initial setup of drives with 7.0.4 is having problems. This will explain why you are having the same issue in 920 when using your initial setup.

You mentioned that you have used HyperBackup. Does this mean that you managed to backup your data or not?

From the post I would say that you don't have anything backed up regarding your 14TB of data.

DSM wizard that is registering and requesting a fresh install is normal in this case and it will format the drives in order to place a fresh version of DSM volume (that you have no access to). This does not mean it will wipe the data volume. However, depending on the state of the whole 4-drive setup it might delete the data as well.

Atm, it might be best to place the drives in 920 or your initial 918 and use Synology Assistant app to get the status of the NAS and DSM instance on it. Just so you have the idea if the volume is "migratable", degraded or whatever.

Another way you can proceed, is to use the fresh disk in any nas, install DSM on it and boot it up as a fresh volume. Then use 3 out of 4 of your current drives (if your initial raid was RAID5/SHR configured), and place them in the remaining drives. After a successful boot you should see that volume in degraded status but with accessible data.

If you get to that point, you can then proceed to backup data asap to an external unit, cloud, or another NAS, and then wipe the volume and start fresh.

Finally, it would be worth looking into those drives, as "freezing" symptoms that you mentioned might be an indicator or a faulty drive(s). In that case backing up the content asap should be your top priority.

Rusty:
"You mentioned that you have used HyperBackup. Does this mean that you managed to backup your data or not?

From the post I would say that you don't have anything backed up regarding your 14TB of data."

Yes i have it but just Photo, that 14TB is all include home videos, documents etc.

Rusty:
"However, depending on the state of the whole 4-drive setup it might delete the data as well."

that Im worries about, it will format all include data
in assistant wizard when I check its say not installed or something like that

Rusty:
"Then use 3 out of 4 of your current drives (if your initial raid was RAID5/SHR configured)"

Thanks for hit mate, I try many variations but not this one.
yes it is setup RAID5/SHR when I try now i seen data still there just in on warning and want fix 1 hdd obviously when is one original missing.
now when I put back that original i can do FIX it process but also want format this hdd just still scare to do that so I order new HDD because that empty one is smaller then original one.
On this point because is fresh install NAS I cant still seen data but seen used / data on volume so data still there.

Rusty:
"
If you get to that point, you can then proceed to backup data asap to an external unit, cloud, or another NAS, and then wipe the volume and start fresh."

yes that I will do when data is safe :D

Rusty:
"freezing" symptoms that you mentioned might be an indicator or a faulty drive(s). In that case backing up the content asap should be your top priority."

that i thing was my fault, video station cant play EAC sound or true HD etc, so I was install ffmpeg and terminal wrapper etc done this 50 times just now was again didnt work so do again and that start that freezing problem. maybe I do something wrong i hope is that start few hours after i do that and wasnt work anyway.

for now thanks for HIT i hope when i added new HDD and do fix it data will back.

in assistant wizard when I check its say not installed or something like that
That is referring to the DSM not being installed. Reinstall should not wipe the your data volumes just the DSM volume, meaning you will lose DSM config and apps.

That is referring to the DSM not being installed. Reinstall should not wipe the your data volumes just the DSM volume, meaning you will lose DSM config and apps.
that I scare viz picture 2.
i was mean same thing but not 100% sure and still scare to tick and click OK

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 5
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
So this wipe all data include own data not just OS data, that I got from support and also I was try with old HDD.
but this HIT give me my data back

"Then use 3 out of 4 of your current drives (if your initial raid was RAID5/SHR configured)"

NAS now beeping because one HDD missing and temporary HDD is smaller and can be added. not sure if I take it out and click fix it will fix all and keep data.
right now I have access my data and will wait to come big HDD and backup all data I need then I will try swap and click fix it

but thanks for that HIT and has my data accessible for backup

this right now is more for future time when someone will have same issue I hope Im now closer to sort this

PS: so I was already done repair wasnt wait that long and yaaa is now fixed. yes need put all back but data still there and DS work

again mate THANKS I own you a beer mate

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.