Migrate with changes

Currently reading
Migrate with changes

Cool. I will use that for the business and other files, moving forward.

I've moved music, movies and photos so far using drag and drop. I figure I can use command line COMP to compare old/new, but would rather do that on the NAS than pulling all that thru Ethernet via Windows command line FC. Is there an actual command line application in DSM, or do I need to telnet into it from Windows? I used telnet for many years (1990's - 2000's), but I don't even have a client anymore for Win11, it's been many years.

yep, that'll work. But there's no command line app built into DSM? Do I need to enable ssh and then go in thru Windows PowerShell? I'm an old DOS and telnet guy, never really transitioned to PowerShell. :D

diff -qr dir1 dir2
Yields a lot of "only in" responses, for files that I can clearly see exist in both source and destination directories. Is "SYNOINDEX_MEDIA_INFO" some hidden metadata that's failing to copy via drag and drop?

Example:

Only in ../music/Andrew Bird/Armchair Apocrypha/@eaDir/06 Darkmatter.mp3: SYNOAUDIO_01APIC_00.jpg
Only in ../music/Andrew Bird/Armchair Apocrypha/@eaDir/06 Darkmatter.mp3: SYNOINDEX_MEDIA_INFO
Only in ../music/Andrew Bird/Armchair Apocrypha/@eaDir/07 Simple X.mp3: SYNOAUDIO_01APIC_00.jpg
Only in ../music/Andrew Bird/Armchair Apocrypha/@eaDir/07 Simple X.mp3: SYNOINDEX_MEDIA_INFO
Only in ../music/Andrew Bird/Armchair Apocrypha/@eaDir/08 The Supine.mp3: SYNOAUDIO_01APIC_00.jpg

Would using rsync resolve this? I hate deleting a whole day's worth of copying and starting over, particularly as that won't help with disk fragmentation (1.3 TB), but I'll do what I gotta do.

Last edited:
Yields a lot of "only in" responses, for files that I can clearly see exist in both source and destination directories. Is "SYNOINDEX_MEDIA_INFO" some hidden metadata that's failing to copy via drag and drop?
Could this be a permissions issue? Maybe run as "root" (sudo -i).

Yet ... If you are copying (drag/drop) across units, you should not be bringing "@eaDir" content with you, but only such as in the shared folders. In such case, you might use the --exclude switch to ignore @eaDir...

Way over my head, there. :LOL: I think I'll just test with DS Audio, and if all the album artwork and all is still there on the new NAS, not worry about whatever these messages mean.

Update: Looks like Shared Folder Sync is not an option for what I'm doing, as it can only move entire shares, not folders within a share. I'm reorganizing as I move, and don't want to blow out the new file structure by transferring the old atop it.

If someone knows how to move individual directories within a share, that's my goal, but at least on the surface it appears SFS isn't going to work, unless I move stuff on the source out to individual shares.

One directory where I really would like to establish a sync is the one used for my business everyday. Unfortunately, it's set up under /homes/[user]/[business] on the old NAS. If I sync all of /homes, just to get it moved, then I'll hose up all the photos and music already moved to various /homes/[user] directories on the new NAS.

Okay. But since I don't do much command line Linux, you're gonna have to hold my hand on this. How do we call out a source or destination that's a mounted remote folder? I'm not seeing the remote folder when I browse the drive thru command line.

Of course, drag and drop has been working fine, I have no gripes with it other than the (assumed) lack of data verification.

Oh, and how do I break the sync relationship after making the transition? Easy enough in Shared Folder Sync, but I'm guessing command line rsync relationships won't appear there.

If you add the -n switch, the transfer is a dry run showing you what will happen.

so sudo rsync -n -avX source destination1. Try it on some sample folders. If all looks good, run it without -n`.

Excellent. Thanks! That helps a lot.

Their examples all used direct path (with password prompt) to remote folders, which gets awful long-winded. Since I have the remote folder mounted in DSM, you'd think there must be a simpler way to name a path right to it using a local path convention?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.