Migrating data with a switch and link aggregation and method of migration?

Currently reading
Migrating data with a switch and link aggregation and method of migration?

NAS
ds1815+, ds713+, ds1511+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello all, I’m laying my plans out for moving from a ds1815+ to a ds1821+. My first question (and probably a dumb one) is, if I link two ports on each box to a managed 8-port switch will it speed up the transfer of data or is it still dependent on the router (the one cable from the switch to the router) even in that scenario? The location for my NAS’s and router is a good distance from my main network hub/switch/modem. I only have four Cat cables to the NAS/router location from the main hub location and obviously one must be connected to the router.

Next, it looks like I must use Hyper Backup as the total volume on the new box will be smaller than the source box. The data will fit with about 37% headspace but, I prefer not to spend another $650 at the moment on another HDD just so I can use Migration Assistant. Later maybe I'll want a separate pool/volume, who knows. Is that being short sighted and asking for trouble? Is data transfer faster/slower and/or difference in integrity or easier on Migration Assistant vs Hyper Backup? I am also going from ext4 to btrfs if that matters. Thanks!

Link aggregation will not speedup if somewhere a single cable is present between the two NAS. Also link aggregation does not speed up a link between two devices, unless two separate processes ask for data.

As you are planning to change file system type then Migration Assistant can't be used.
Ah, I did not catch that. Thanks.
-- post merged: --

Link aggregation will not speedup if somewhere a single cable is present between the two NAS. Also link aggregation does not speed up a link between two devices, unless two separate processes ask for data.
I would have two cables from each NAS into the switch. The single cable is just to connect the switch to the network. Does that make a difference? And I apologize for my ignorance but, can you expand on this - "Also link aggregation does not speed up a link between two devices, unless two separate processes ask for data." I'm not quite grasping it.

I sort of tried to explain link aggregation in this post, maybe that helps:

I sort of tried to explain link aggregation in this post, maybe that helps:

That explains it perfectly. I never thought about it in that way. Thanks for the info!

I hope it is appropriate to follow up in this thread since it’s related to my original question.

@EAZ1964

Now that I realize link aggregation was not really helping me, what if I set my IP cameras to record to Ethernet port 2 (different IP) on the NAS instead? My whole thought process regarding link aggregation was, if my cameras were recording and I was streaming a 4K movie it would probably cause my network, or at least the connection to and from the NAS, to bottleneck. Would that truly relieve my first ethernet connection on the NAS of all the ip cam recording traffic? It seems like it would have to. Will running two separate IPs on my NAS bring along additional issues? Btw, I’m not using Surveillance Station at the moment if that matters. I’m self taught when it comes to networking so please take it easy on me LOL.

Will running two separate IPs on my NAS bring along additional issues?
No, it won't. If those IPs are from the same subnet (just different ips), then you will have no problem at all. Configuring specific services to run via dedicated IPs will indeed force them to run on those specific lan cables and interfaces. So in return you will get a nice spread of traffic.

Configuring specific services to run via dedicated IPs will indeed force them to run on those specific lan cables and interfaces.
Maybe I’m forgetting or have missed this ‘configuring’.

Can you binder a service to one interface? Or is it more that client devices only use a specific interface for a service? That could be enforced though router port forwarding but locally a DNS service could help too.

Maybe I’m forgetting or have missed this ‘configuring’.

Can you binder a service to one interface? Or is it more that client devices only use a specific interface for a service? That could be enforced though router port forwarding but locally a DNS service could help too.
Well for example Snapshot replication can be configured to target specific interface/IP. I have it configured like that, so my replication is pushing transfers on a dedicated 10G adapter towards another unit without saturating other interfaces.

Considering there was no mention here what exact scenario is in question I just answered in general. But yes, it will depend on what app/services you are running with.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.