1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
  3. RT6600ax
  4. WRX560
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Just out of curiosity I've seen mention that if you migrate from an old NAS with 32-bit CPU to a 64-bit CPU then you'll be limiting the new NAS with remnants from the 32-bit architecture.

Other than the underlying formatting of the disks being the same, when migrated the new NAS will install the right version of DSM and then all packages have to be upgraded too. When I migrated from DS215j to DS218+ it was by moving disks from one unit to the other, following Synology's published method. I've since upgraded the disks.

But when I manually install packages I always have to use the x86_64 file. On the DSM command line it all points to running 64-bit OS.

What am I missing?

No. Only used DSM 5 or 6. Migrated April last year. Earliest DSM must've been from early 2015.

The comments that caused me to wonder were about the migration could mean slower performance on the new NAS. But I haven't noticed anything, but then I can't benchmark it against a clean install DS218+.

Well now that you are in the new NAS I would say so. Rest will come with the fact you don't have btrfs file system, but that can only be done with a full format.
I looked at Syno's suggestion for when to use ext4 and when btrfs. For mail servers they said ext4, so I felt no compunction to change at the moment. Next time I'm thinking a clean build and transfer of services ... will give me time to work out how to migrate Moments database, and see if there's an easy way to do Mail too (normally just get users to copy content across IMAP servers).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.