Migrating DS718+ to DS920+ and having issues...

Currently reading
Migrating DS718+ to DS920+ and having issues...

NAS
DS718+, DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I've watched/read multiple tutorials. I did my backups. Now I have taken an 8TB drive from my 718+ and inserted it into the 920+. I inserted a shiny new 8TB drive. Turned it on. Found the IP on my router and navigated to it. No problem. Then I followed the migration path indicated by the tutorial. It said it was restarting in 10 minutes. When it hit 0:00, it spun a bit longer and then the screen indicated that it could no longer find the 920+ and the unit started beeping.

I can hear things spinning, but the beeping persists.

I can see the 920+ on my router, but when I navigate to the IP it gives me an "unable to connect" page error (When I do this, I briefly see it flash in the tab label Synology and then it resolves to "Problem..")

I'm honestly stymied. If I missed a post somewhere here, I apologize, I did search. I'd be most grateful for any thoughts you might have.

I've watched/read multiple tutorials. I did my backups. Now I have taken an 8TB drive from my 718+ and inserted it into the 920+. I inserted a shiny new 8TB drive. Turned it on. Found the IP on my router and navigated to it. No problem. Then I followed the migration path indicated by the tutorial. It said it was restarting in 10 minutes. When it hit 0:00, it spun a bit longer and then the screen indicated that it could no longer find the 920+ and the unit started beeping.

I can hear things spinning, but the beeping persists.

I can see the 920+ on my router, but when I navigate to the IP it gives me an "unable to connect" page error (When I do this, I briefly see it flash in the tab label Synology and then it resolves to "Problem..")

I'm honestly stymied. If I missed a post somewhere here, I apologize, I did search. I'd be most grateful for any thoughts you might have.
Start with a Synology Assistant tool and check the status of the 920. It will report the IP address and the current state as well. Take it from there. Also, share that screen with us if you want.

Unfortunately, it was not finding the NAS. I could see it (and the IP address for it) on my router, but the assistant didn't register its existence.

This morning I took everything apart and am starting over. The old drives are back in the old NAS (the 718+) and I've got that back up and running properly. The new NAS (the 920+) now has the 4 new drives in it and it's going through the parity consistency check. Assuming that checks out properly, I'm going to give the Migration Assistant a go.

I realize it has its limitations (reading up on those now to understand what I'll need to do after the fact), but given that I quite literally couldn't get to the drive-swapped arrangement, I think this makes sense for me.

If you have thoughts on this path, I welcome them.

1. I trust the 8TB from the 718+ was a complete pool/volume.
2. I trust you initially started the 920+ without the second (new) 8TB, allowing the 920+ to complete any necessary migration.

If not, please clarify.
1. Indeed it is
2. In the 920+ I had the volume from the 718+ as well as a brand new 8TB drive. (which is what I understood was what I needed to do from my research.)

In doing some additional research this morning (when I was less frustrated overall), I believe the beeping was because it was grumpy about the storage pool. I'm thinking that I either misunderstood the research I did OR my research sources were incorrect/incomplete and I needed to use both drives (they have always been SHR) in the 920+. Not sure.

NOTE: this is not my area of expertise. I'm continually learning and I know that not all resources are of equal quality in terms of the information they provide. I am, however, knowledgable enough that if I buggered the entire thing, I have 3 different backup sources from which to restore.

Backups just feel really good at times like these. :cool:

The automatic migration from model to model only works if the new model is unused and it requires the exact same drives as used on the old system to be moved and used in the new system, in the exact same order. Nothing added, nothing taken away.

(y)

I said exact same order, nothing about about slots.

If you mix-up the drive order then the RAID is no more.
Well, I tried to be intentional about keeping the drives in the same order, but if I had a moment, I guess I could have mixed them up. If I did that, would my experience make sense then? Or is no one else that daft as to do such a thing. :)

At any rate, I'm going to give the Migration Assistant a go once the parity consistency check completes, since I got both boxes stabilized. Is there any stupid thing I could do there? I'm reading instructions, but I'm far from perfect and might miss a sublty.

I said exact same order, nothing about about slots.
Explain the difference. Drives can reside anywhere. There is no ordering required when moving drives. OP may move the drives from the 718+ into the 920+ in any random order without any ill effect. You can even move your drives around within a shutdown NAS, restart, and see no difference. What "same order" do you refer to?

I tried to be intentional about keeping the drives in the same order, but if I had a moment, I guess I could have mixed them up
Do not be concerned, the "order" of drive placement does not matter.

Hi @Telos,

I was only referring to the on-screen instructions when doing an HDD migration from one device to another. The Synology video on the topic says the same. The Synology knowledge base and tutorial also include the same directions and I have not felt the need to deviate from them or experiment during a migration of drives from one NAS to another, so your own experiments may well be valid. I have followed the Synology guide a number of times now with no failures.

To give clarity to the thread I pasted them below:

To migrate between different Synology NAS models:

1. Sign in to the source Synology NAS.
  2. Go to Control Panel > Update & Restore.
  3. Make sure that the source Synology NAS is running the newest version of DSM. If a newer version is available, download and install it before continuing.
  4. Go to the Configuration Backup tab and click Back up configuration. A configuration file named [DiskStation Name]_[Created Date].dss will be downloaded to your computer. Keep this file in a safe place.
  5. If you need to back up any of the data mentioned above, go to Hyper Backup and click the Create icon > Data backup task. Follow the instructions in the wizard and continue to the next step once the data is successfully backed up.
    • If you are migrating HDDs between two different Synology NAS models, you must use Hyper Backup to backup your data first.
  6. Shut down both Synology devices. Wait for both Synology devices to shut down completely.
    6.png
  7. Remove the drives from the source Synology NAS. Be sure to take note of the order each drive was installed in.
    7.png
  8. Install the drives in the destination Synology NAS. Drives must be installed in the same order as they were installed in the source Synology NAS. For details regarding drive slot numbering, refer to the Hardware Installation Guide (available in the Synology Download Center) or try looking on the drive slots of your Synology NAS.
    8.png
  9. Turn on the destination Synology NAS and wait for it to boot up.
    9.png
  10. Open a web browser on your computer and go to find.synology.com.
  11. Find the destination Synology NAS and double-click on it.
  12. The status of the destination Synology NAS should be Migratable. Click Install to continue.
  13. Important: If you see a warning message similar to Note: All data on the hard drive(s) will be deleted, close the browser, and make sure you have installed the drives in the same order as they were installed in the source Synology NAS.
  14. Choose the option for Migration.
  15. Choose the option to download and install the newest version of DSM.
  16. Enter a new password for the admin account and click Install Now.
  17. Once the installation is complete, sign in to the destination Synology NAS.
  18. Go to Control Panel > Update & Restore.
  19. Go to the Configuration Backup tab and click Restore configuration.
  20. Click Browse and choose the backup file that you saved on your computer earlier. Click OK.
  21. Choose the All System Configurations option. Click OK.
  22. A warning message will appear. Click Yes to confirm.
  23. Wait for system configurations to be restored. When finished, your data should be successfully migrated to the destination Synology NAS.
Warning message: During the migration procedure described above, you might encounter a warning message when using Synology Assistant to install DSM on the destination Synology NAS. If you see either of the following warning messages, abort the migration procedure immediately, and try performing migration via Hyper Backup instead. There are two messages that are likely to show up, depending on the situation:

• Note! All data in the hard drive(s) will be deleted.
  • Note! All data on the hard drive(s) [number] will be deleted.
Source:

@Robbie interestingly, I got no warnings. It was all going swimmingly. On reboot, everything went sideways. This is the part that confuses me, because I have no idea what I did (but I do assume it is user error because it almost always is).

Last edited:
You only took one disk of the two out of the 718 and put it in the new nas. Then you added a completely brand new disk into the new nas along side the first 718 disk right?

Wouldn’t this be the problem? Don’t you first have to take all of the disks out of the 718 , put it into the new nas until migration is complete. And then you can add in new drives if you wish, or upgrade the existing one by one.

Garard, you got it in one. All the above should listen to what the OP said, "Now I have taken an 8TB drive from my 718+ and inserted it into the 920+. I inserted a shiny new 8TB drive. "
The way I read it is that he took perhaps drive one (1) out of the 718 and put it into the 920. He then added a brand new drive into the 920 alongside the drive he'd taken from his 718. That was wrong.
As Gerard has said, both drives and them alone should have been taken out of the 718 and installed in the 920. At that stage, the 920 should have had 2 empty drives. At boot up,. the 920 would invite the OP to MIGRATE.

Drives must be installed in the same order as they were installed in the source Synology NAS.
Fair enough. But that info is outdated. It does no harm to keep the same sequence (a.k.a. slot position), but it is unnecessary.
As Gerard has said, both drives and them alone should have been taken out of the 718 and installed in the 920. At that stage, the 920 should have had 2 empty drives. At boot up,. the 920 would invite the OP to MIGRATE.
Yep. All drives in a given pool should be transferred simultaneously. If SHR or RAID1, the OP may get lucky and be offered a "repair" of a degraded pool on the 920+. It helps to follow the Knowledge Base guides.

Thank you to one and all. I see my mistake.

I've now successfully used the Migration Assistant and am up and running on the 902+. I'm now down to fiddly bits.

There is one thing in the fiddly bits that I'm struggling to find. Moments (the package) is there, and the photos are all where they should be, but when I try to open the Moments package it just spins (the tab opens, the URL looks right, the favicon on the tab shows the Moments logo), and it never resolves.

I've looked and my user has permission to access Moments. Everything else seems correct. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but searching the Synology knowledge base isn't yielding anything; neither is The Google. Any ideas?

Thanks, @Gerard, that did it. Strange, because I'd rebooted last night after the migration completed. Still, thanks very much. I have access to Moments again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.