DSM 7.0 Migrating from DS218play to DS720+

NAS
DS218play
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I have a DS218play (running DSM7) and am looking to replace it with a DS720+. I want to migrate the disks I have to the new NAS.

Looking at How do I choose the right method for migrating data between Synology NAS (for DSM 6.0 and later)? - Synology Knowledge Center, just moving the drives isn't supported (presumably different CPU architecture). I can't use Migration Assistant either, due to the drive moves.

I don't have much data on th 218play (< 1TB) and I have an external SSD of sufficient capacity. I want to, if possible, migrate all the config I have over to the new NAS - i.e. my Plex server config, my security hardening, user accounts etc. Is my best route to:

a) backup the data using Hyper Backup to the external SSD

b) backup the config using the option in DSM

c) put the disks in the new NAS and re-initialise them

d) restore the data from Hyper Backup

e) restore the config from the config file backup

All input welcome. Thanks in advance!

I could swear I took my DS215j drives and put them in a new DS218+, which was contrary to the Knowledgebase table, but it was a few years ago now. But I did have a full HB backup. It needed all the packages to be reinstalled.

However, the first question you need to ask yourself is: do I want to use any package that mandates or benefits from BTRFS file system, or do I want to remain on EXT4? For instance, Synology Drive's internal database utilises BTRFS to reduce the storage needed to maintaining versions. Then BTRFS is needed for ABB and Snapshot Replication.

if you do want to go to BTRFS then there is no easy way other than build with new volumes and restore from a backup.

If you are using HB then DSM 7 covers more configuration backup than DSM 6. So if you are using DSM 7 on the DS218play I would go the full HB backup and restore route over a new build of DSM 7 on the DS720+.

Here's a thread of my experience of migrating DS218+ to DS1520+ when it was DSM 6 using the full backup/restore approach... because I wanted to use BTRFS.
* your DS218play doesn't have the 16TB volume limit, but mine did as it was the original volume migrated from my DS215j.

I could swear I took my DS215j drives and put them in a new DS218+, which was contrary to the Knowledgebase table, but it was a few years ago now. But I did have a full HB backup. It needed all the packages to be reinstalled.

However, the first question you need to ask yourself is: do I want to use any package that mandates or benefits from BTRFS file system, or do I want to remain on EXT4? For instance, Synology Drive's internal database utilises BTRFS to reduce the storage needed to maintaining versions. Then BTRFS is needed for ABB and Snapshot Replication.

if you do want to go to BTRFS then there is no easy way other than build with new volumes and restore from a backup.

If you are using HB then DSM 7 covers more configuration backup than DSM 6. So if you are using DSM 7 on the DS218play I would go the full HB backup and restore route over a new build of DSM 7 on the DS720+.

Here's a thread of my experience of migrating DS218+ to DS1520+ when it was DSM 6 using the full backup/restore approach... because I wanted to use BTRFS.
* your DS218play doesn't have the 16TB volume limit, but mine did as it was the original volume migrated from my DS215j.

Thanks for this. I'm not overly bothered about staying on ext4 - I only use the NAS for a few things - Time Machine backups and Plex server primarily. I think I'll go with the way I posted originally, but beforehand I'll eyeball and document the tweaks I've applied to the 218play over the years, esp. the security hardening.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.