Migrating from RS2416+ to FS2017 w/snapshots

Currently reading
Migrating from RS2416+ to FS2017 w/snapshots

NAS
10 Synology NASs
I'm preparing for a migration from a RS2416+ to a FS2017. Both have/will have the latest DSM. The RS2416+ has a little over 30TB of capacity with 14TB used. Most of the shares are protected with snapshots. I'd like to bring the snapshots over with the data.

The FS2017 hasn't been purchased yet, but capacity will be 9 4TB SSDs (large enough? or do I need 10). The systems show as compatible for the migration assistant.

I've read the migration guide but some things were unclear. Since the FS2017 uses 2.5" drives and the RS2416+ is loaded with 3.5" drives a disk migration isn't possible. For Hyperbackup they state the target system has to be 2X the capacity of the source, which seems extreme and that many SSDs is expensive. Migration assistant seems to be the only one I can use as I only have to be as large as the source.

What is unclear to me is will the snapshots I have come across giving me the same history as I have on the source?
Thoughts?

What is unclear to me is will the snapshots I have come across giving me the same history as I have on the source?
Thoughts?
They should move without any problems using the assistant. This is the official documentation on the tool:

Migratable Items
Migration Assistant is designed to migrate all services and data to a new Synology NAS. The following are migratable items:

• Data (migrated on a volume/block-level LUN basis)
  • Packages, package settings, and package data
  • System configuration

Thanks. They do later say I'll have to set up snapshot manager so I wasn't sure if the existing snapshots would make it across.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.