NAS
Ds414
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi all

New to forums so a big hi all round

Looking for help opinions on a bit of a dilemma I have presented myself with. I currently run a ds414 which I eagerly upgraded to dsm 7 only use it fir storage of media files and such so no real 3rd party apps in use.

I have now ordered myself a ds920+ as an upgrade so a couple of questions first would I be able to use my hyper backup file to migrate data over to 920+ if I installed dsm 7 on the 920+.

Second would I be best just setting up 920+ as new nas with dsm 6.2 as with the new nas I wanted to run sab nzb, sonar and radar maybe in docker form but not sure if that will work on dsm 7 aswell as it would on 6.2 ?

If I go 6.2 it will be a hard copy of data from old nas to external then set up new nas before copying over data but I do have a hyperbackup file of data if I were to go dsm 7 on new nas.

So thoughts, opinions, advice on best way forward please and many thanks.

first would I be able to use my hyper backup file to migrate data over to 920+ if I installed dsm 7 on the 920+.
yes you would

Second would I be best just setting up 920+ as new nas with dsm 6.2 as with the new nas I wanted to run sab nzb, sonar and radar maybe in docker form but not sure if that will work on dsm 7 aswell as it would on 6.2 ?
Might as well go for DSM7 considering it's a fresh setup (Docker works fine under 7)

If I go 6.2 it will be a hard copy of data from old nas to external then set up new nas before copying over data but I do have a hyperbackup file of data if I were to go dsm 7 on new nas.
Best to set up a new nas and then just connect them using File Station (remote CIFS connection) and transfer the data that way. HB is also a way, but not really needed imho.

Upvote 0
yes you would

Might as well go for DSM7 considering it's a fresh setup (Docker works fine under 7)

Best to set up a new nas and then just connect them using File Station (remote CIFS connection) and transfer the data that way. HB is also a way, but not

yes you would

Best to set up a new nas and then just connect them using File Station (remote CIFS connection) and transfer the data that way. HB is also a way, but not really needed imho.
Great thanks for reply so maybe I'll go with dsm 7 and hyper back up as my old drives are going in new nas so remote cifs won't be an option as I presume new nas would need to be populated with new drives to transfer too. I was going to format old drives when in new nas and then restore hyper back up file from external USB drive. Long winded but but I believe my only option unless I can just swap drives over, currently in shr not to worried about btrfs.

Upvote 0
currently in shr not to worried about btrfs
Just make sure not to mistake SHR for BTRFS. One is raid type the other is the file system.

Also, migration from 414 to 920 (with in-place drive) might not work so double check that.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.