Question migration from device DS918+ to DS1621XS+

Currently reading
Question migration from device DS918+ to DS1621XS+

Last edited:
Hi, I would like to ask you about some my uncertainties regarding the very close future migration from device DS918+ to DS1621XS+. I am going to migrate from the one device to the another by the exchanging HDD.

My actual DS918+ contains in total 4 HDD in the setup of two volumes (volume1 and volume2) where each of these volumes has pool of two HDD with entire capacity approx 10TB. The first volume is with SHR format ext4. The second one is RAID1 with btrfs.
  • Am I going simply move these 4 HDD (in the same order 1, 2, 3, 4 HDD) to the new NAS…also positions 1, 2, 3, 4? I have read, that the new DS1621XS+ does't supoort SHR. How to do that then??
I am also using SSD cache in configuration RAID1 (read + write) and attached to the first volume with SHR. What I should do with this SSD „volume 1“? I am going to put another two SSD’s to the new device with a higher cappacity.
  • Shall I disattach ad remove this SSD cache first before the migration and then install and configure the new ones SSD’s on the new NAS after that when it’s newly configured?
Thank you for your advices! Jan

How to do that then??
There is no option here but to destroy the volume and create a new raid1 on the new nas. SHR can only convert to shr2 not to a convention raid.

Shall I disattach ad remove this SSD cache first before the migration and then install and configure the new ones SSD’s on the new NAS after that when it’s newly configured?
Correct

Last edited:
Ok, thanks.
But I am thinking over this scenario:
1) what if I on my DS918+ move all share folders from SHR pool to the second pool with RAID1 . Also if I backup all applications by hyperbackup (because all apps are installed on the pool1 with SHR).
2) then destroy the pool1 with SHR, buid up RAID1 instead and restore apps from the backup and also move back most of the previous share folders..
3) when the new DS1621XS+ comes....then migrate by the exchanging HDDs.

Is this the way?
  • what with the SSD cache in this case? Shall I destroy it too when I am going to destroy pool 1 with SHR (to which is this cache attached) and change it to RAID1...or in this step I need not to touch SSD cache yet?
  • I am affraid about my Docker, PLEX, MariaDB, PHP and another aplications installed now at the SHR pool....when I delete this pool and then create RAID1 if I am able to restore fully these apps from the backups include their setup and it's gonna work properly.
Thanks

Is this the way?
That would work, yes

Shall I destroy it too
Yes

I am affraid about my Docker, PLEX, MariaDB, PHP and another aplications installed now at the SHR pool....when I delete this pool and then create RAID1 if I am able to restore fully these apps from the backups include their setup and it's gonna work properly.
Migrating apps from one pool to the other can be done. Usually "hacking" via SSH. The general idea is this. Stop the app, log into ssh, migrate it on file level, reconfigure symlinks if there are any and then start up the app again.

There are guides on the net about this. For example, migrating Plex can be done even from one NAS to the other and even from one OS to the other. The point is that you will have to do this per application/platform and be careful with it. It can be done, just read up on it.

That would work, yes

Yes

Migrating apps from one pool to the other can be done. Usually "hacking" via SSH. The general idea is this. Stop the app, log into ssh, migrate it on file level, reconfigure symlinks if there are any and then start up the app again.

There are guides on the net about this. For example, migrating Plex can be done even from one NAS to the other and even from one OS to the other. The point is that you will have to do this per application/platform and be careful with it. It can be done, just read up on it.

Ok, thanks, I got it.
I found some tutorials how to do it. Even some scripts, but I am not sure...mybe better to move one by one application with command and see what happens. Only what I am not sure about is...some applications, for example Perl, Node.js, Python3 etc. can't be stopped, only uninstalled. What to do with these...how to move them?

Also one uncertanity...when I destroy the volume1 with SHR and then create volume1 with RAID1....shall I remove Pool1 first? This pool is on the whole Volume1. Or just remove Volume1 (it will destroy the pool itself) and then create a new Volume1 with RAID1 and then create a Pool1 on it?

Thank you, Jan

What to do with these...how to move them?
You will have to reinstall those. All of those are support frameworks, languages etc..

Also one uncertanity...when I destroy the volume1 with SHR and then create volume1 with RAID1....shall I remove Pool1 first? This pool is on the whole Volume1. Or just remove Volume1 (it will destroy the pool itself) and then create a new Volume1 with RAID1 and then create a Pool1 on it?
Considering that you will be using the same drives, just destroy the volume and make a new R1, that's it.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but…

I'm also thinking of getting the DS1621XS+ and moving my data from my DS1019+.

On the DS1019+ the volume is SHR, with 3 x 8TB and 1 x 6TB. For the DS1621XS+ I was thinking of using the existing 3 x 8TB, and adding another 8TB (using the 6TB elsewhere) in RAID 5.
Does that sound OK? Looking at Synology's RAID Calculator I'd get the same amount of free space versus protection as I would with SHR.

Assuming that's OK then I guess I'd have to erase the 3 x 8TB (as well as adding a new 8TB disk), create the RAID 5, then restore all the data from backups. I take it there's no other/easier way of doing that?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but…

I'm also thinking of getting the DS1621XS+ and moving my data from my DS1019+.

On the DS1019+ the volume is SHR, with 3 x 8TB and 1 x 6TB. For the DS1621XS+ I was thinking of using the existing 3 x 8TB, and adding another 8TB (using the 6TB elsewhere) in RAID 5.
Does that sound OK? Looking at Synology's RAID Calculator I'd get the same amount of free space versus protection as I would with SHR.

Assuming that's OK then I guess I'd have to erase the 3 x 8TB (as well as adding a new 8TB disk), create the RAID 5, then restore all the data from backups. I take it there's no other/easier way of doing that?
The plan is solid and yes, there is no other way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.