Migration from DS218+ to DS1621+

Currently reading
Migration from DS218+ to DS1621+

NAS
DS920+ (previously: DS216j, DS218+, DS1621+)
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
I have Synology DS218+ and I'm planning to buy DS1621+.
If I just put my disk (I have only 1 volume with btrfs) from 218+ to 1621+ what can I expect?
Will new NAS overwrite existing DSM and keep all the data intact?
If I loose some of the system setting that's OK, as long as all the shares and users are intact...

I have Synology DS218+ and I'm planning to buy DS1621+.
If I just put my disk (I have only 1 volume with btrfs) from 218+ to 1621+ what can I expect?
Will new NAS overwrite existing DSM and keep all the data intact?
If I loose some of the system setting that's OK, as long as all the shares and users are intact...
If you migrate your drives, it will be 100% the same setup. Maybe some apps will be reinstalled but from a data and configuration point of view it will be intact.

You might backup your DSM config just in case to have it on the side, but in most cases this type of migration should be problem free.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.