Migration from DS411+ toDS920+

NAS
DS411+, DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello together

I will replace the aging DS411+ with a DS920+.
After reading through some manuals and articles I still have some questions about the migration.
There is no migration wizard for the DS411+, so this option is dropped.
The goal would be to transfer the configuration (data, user, VPN, cloud sync, ...) from the existing NAS to the new one.
The DS411+ has 2 USB hard drives connected to it, which secure a portion of the data with Hyper Backup (one of which is Smart Recycle)
In the future, Hyper Backup Vault will be used on the DS411+ as an additional remote backup.
For the DS920+ I want to use btrfs

As I understood it, there are 2 variants for the migration
- HyperBackup
- rsync

My questions about it:
-If I set up the DS with btrfs and restore the backup on the new NAS with HyperBackup, will the filesystem be configured like the old one (ext4) or will it stay btrfs?
-HyperBackup transfer directly (according to Synology instructions) or better via an external hard drive for migration?
-After HyperBackup restores the system configuration, are all the folders/drives as before? If so, what happens to the existing backup (if I created it directly from the old NAS on the new NAS according to Synology) is it still there and if so, which folder?
-When I transfer the data with rsync, the configuration (user, VPN, ...) is not transferred. Should I create the configuration (folder, user, ...) manually or import it via HyperBackup?
-The reconnection to the HyperBackup on the USB hard disks, especially the one with Smart Recycle, should work or?
-What is the better option: HyperBackup or rsync?
-Can I reconnect the Cloud Sync (folder) to the OneDrive or better delete and resynchronize/download the data?
-On the DS411+ the DSM7 will not run. Can I still use the Hyper Backup Vault on it (DSM6) and remotely back up from the new one with DSM7 on it?

I know I could find out some things by trying. But since there are a few TB of data, it could take a long time.

Thanks for your time.

Greetings
Mistral

I was using HB to backup from a main Synology NAS to USB off the 'backup' Synology NAS. When building a new NAS I connected the USB drive directly to the new NAS and did a restore. A couple of long-ish posts in here of what I found gets restored and what does not.

The old 'main' NAS used ext4 formatted drives and I prepared the new 'main' NAS with btrfs. The restore went fine but there's still work to do to finish off the settings that are not included in the HB backup.

Regarding what DSM 7 will do ... there's no information on that so we're all in the same position.

As for the majority of your questions: if you're going to migrate from one NAS to another then you don't have many choices and restoring from HB is about as good as it gets (for Synology). Once the restore has completed I would suggest you open two browser windows and compare the DSM/package settings, manually adding any missing values.

BTW welcome to the forum.

I recently migrated alot of stuff from one NAS to another using HyberBackup. It was surprisingly easy.

-If I set up the DS with btrfs and restore the backup on the new NAS with HyperBackup, will the filesystem be configured like the old one (ext4) or will it stay btrfs?
It will stay btrfs

-HyperBackup transfer directly (according to Synology instructions) or better via an external hard drive for migration?
What are Synology's instructions exactly did you read?

My HyperBackups are also done with an external USB hdd. I hooked up the external HDD onto my new NAS, than just did HyberBackup restores.

-After HyperBackup restores the system configuration, are all the folders/drives as before?
If done correctly, yes

If so, what happens to the existing backup (if I created it directly from the old NAS on the new NAS according to Synology) is it still there and if so, which folder?
When doing a restore, your backup on the USB hdd should still remain as it was..

-When I transfer the data with rsync, the configuration (user, VPN, ...) is not transferred. Should I create the configuration (folder, user, ...) manually or import it via HyperBackup?
I'd try to restore everything via HyperBackup. If you restore via rsync, there is a chance you wont have the proper permission and owner seting per file/folder like before due to missing configuration.

-The reconnection to the HyperBackup on the USB hard disks, especially the one with Smart Recycle, should work or?
It should work, but hold your breath with this. My USB harddisk also has encryption enabled, but reconnecting failed on my side. Not sure if the encryption causes this, eventough I had all the keys available.

-What is the better option: HyperBackup or rsync?
HyperBackup

-Can I reconnect the Cloud Sync (folder) to the OneDrive or better delete and resynchronize/download the data?
If your HyperBackup backup is complete, the Cloud Sync app data should be included here. You can also restore this. But first make sure all your data is restored before you also restore the Cloud Sync app. When restoring, you can for example opt out restoring Cloud Sync and leave it for later.

-On the DS411+ the DSM7 will not run. Can I still use the Hyper Backup Vault on it (DSM6) and remotely back up from the new one with DSM7 on it?
Let's hope so.. :)
if not, than you can use the DS411+ as an rsync backup location.

Hi
Thank you for all your answers.

chapter 5

It should work, but hold your breath with this. My USB harddisk also has encryption enabled, but reconnecting failed on my side. Not sure if the encryption causes this, eventough I had all the keys available.
My USB harddisk isn't encrypted. I will try this

This will work. I have tested it.
Nice. Thx

my conclusion at the moment:
- btrfs and restore with USB hard disk with HyperBackup
- Try to reconnecting the old HyperBackup
- I still have to think about restoring cloud synchronization

chapter 5

Ooh. Yea that method should also work just fine.

The reason I didn't do that was I already had a fresh backup on the USB harddisk.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.