DSM 7.0 Migration from DSM 7 to new enclosure.

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 Migration from DSM 7 to new enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
NAS
DS214Play, DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I’m moving from 214Play running DSM7 to a new NAS, planning to use the same disks. Data is non critical, so I now, I’ve been a bad guy messing with betas. :cool:

I have a couple of doubts though.

- Can I just move the disks from that DSM7 into new fresh DSM 6.x? (I think the answer is NO).
- If no, as I’m guessing, can I remove 1 disk, move it into the new NAS, initialize it on 1 no RAID volume, move data and then move second disk, a proper method? Or it’s better to take data out on additional external disk, rebuild the whole thing and then restore files?
- If I create a single disk volume, once I get a second disk, can I rebuild it into a RAID 1? And from RAID 1 to SHR???

Thanks!!!

Moving drives can be a bad idea... but unrelated to DSM7. Since you gave no details about the new NAS type or your current pool/volume configuration, I cannot comment definitively, or suggest a migration path.

However... when you move drives, you also move the limitations of your existing pool, including no btrfs protection/packages and the 16T volume limit of the DS214play.

More details are needed.

Last edited:
DSM 7 beta aside, I vaguely remember that migrating and keeping your data intact from an Atom (or other non-Intel) processer to an Intel processor wasn't supported. When I moved from a DS214 to my DS718+, I had to wipe the drives and restore all my data from my backups. It wouldn't even give me the option to migrate. Maybe it had to do with the file-system I was using, went from ext4 to BTRFS. I hope I'm not lying to you here. My memory can be vague at times.

Tim

Clear, Thanks! No shortcuts… :rolleyes:

Then…

- Remove 1 disk from actual pool. 2x4Tb RAID 1 Ext4
- Add it to new enclosure, format into SHR, BTRFS. Will provide 4Tb non protected.
- Move data from old to new NAS.
- Remove second disk and add it into new pool to rebuild and provide data protection.

Is that correct?

Thanks!

If you are running any form of RAID (other than maybe RAID 0), then moving only 1 disk will break the RAID and it will be unreadable, both on the new NAS and the old NAS. If it was SHR, then it might possibly work, not really sure.

If you are running any form of RAID (other than maybe RAID 0), then moving only 1 disk will break the RAID and it will be unreadable, both on the new NAS and the old NAS. If it was SHR, then it might possibly work, not really sure.
It is actually 2 disks on SHR.

It‘s readable only 1 disk on original NAS. When migrated from smaller disks it’s basically what I did.

Oh, sweet. The migration may work in the manner you described above then. Here's hoping for the best!

Tim

With SHR, you can migrate as you indicated... But it might be faster...

After creating the initial one drive volume, shut down. Add the second drive to the new NAS and restart.

You should see both volumes. Then change the shared folder location of the original shared folders to the new volume. Be sure to enable file integrity at the new shared folder location. After all files are transferred, delete the old pool, then add that drive to the new pool.

Clear?

DSM 7 beta aside, I vaguely remember that migrating and keeping your data intact from an Atom (or other non-Intel) processer to an Intel processor wasn't supported. When I moved from a DS214 to my DS718+, I had to wipe the drives and restore all my data from my backups. It wouldn't even give me the option to migrate. Maybe it had to do with the file-system I was using, went from ext4 to BTRFS. I hope I'm not lying to you here. My memory can be vague at times.

Tim
Atom = Intel?

I've moved to and from ARM & Intel and my most recent move was from Intel to AMD. No issues or drama moving everything over. Running with scissors next.

After creating the initial one drive volume, shut down. Add the second drive to the new NAS and restart.

You should see both volumes.
There might be problems with this configuration if the fresh new nas is running with dsm6 and the degraded volume coming in is with dsm7

Status
Not open for further replies.