Missing a required Step? Allowing Printer Access through the Firewall from Different networks

Currently reading
Missing a required Step? Allowing Printer Access through the Firewall from Different networks

NAS
DS920+ DS215J,
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Synology has specific steps on how to "block access between two local networks while allowing communication among certain devices" (How can I block access between two local networks while allowing communication among certain devices? - Synology Bilgi Merkezi) and I've attempted them several times to insure I'm not missing anything.

This was the next step in moving all my IoT Devices to a new Network while leaving all my PC/Tablet/Mobile Devices/etc. on my Primary.

It just does not see the Printer... and I set up a Rule exception for the two Desktops who would access it.

Both Devices have Full Access only when I change the Wi-Fi Network on the Printer back to the Primary.

Does Synology instructions possibly require some other steps not listed? If anyone has any suggestion, please know I'm not a Network Tech and appreciate basic steps..

I even insured the Printer Access was "above" the IoT to Primary along with its complimentary Primary to IoT...

Thanks in advance!

Security Printer Access.jpg

With the PC's on Network "1" and the Printer on Network "2", The Printer will not reveal itself. It appears Synology's instructions as I noted above don't work in all cases. I also just tried to resolve it via hardware... as the Epson WF-3640 Multi function has always had been connected via Ethernet (for my desktop PC) and our Laptops via Wi-Fi. All Multi-Function options were accessible. While going through possibilities, I connected the Epson via USB to the Print USB Option on the 2600. It immediately recognized it (didn't even need to search) but then the issue of its functionality came up. Though it showed the exact Epson model when connected, in order to do the Set-up in the router, I had to Tick the "Apple Print" which then populated all the Models... but not the 3640. I tried some close ones, but no joy. I don't know if a single Firewall Rule to allow the Printer to be seen from the Primary Network thru the IoT Network will work, and I need to insure its not exposing access. This may require a plea to Synology's Help Line for resolution.

Thanks for all the suggestions...

I spoke repeatedly with tier 1 technical who eventually had me allow tier 2 to SSH in and poke around. There opinion: "Can't Be Done"... Really? Not wishing to give up, I looked into the Wi-Fi setup of the printer, bearing in mind I also have the printer connected to my network switch. While looking at the client list of devices, I see that understandably its connected via "Wi-Fi"... But why does it show it and not the hardwired network connection. I found an option that I was unaware of previously. It's "DISABLE Wi-Fi"..... I took a chance and once I ticked that, It worked! Full Multi Function ops from all PC's. I then checked the client device list in both areas of the Router Mgmt. and it still showed it was on Wi-Fi.... I repeatedly refreshed those screens over 15 minutes with no change. Finally I checked again and it changed to "Wired"... Why it takes so long to refresh is unknown, but I'm glad I did not start changing other settings thinking nothing changed. As far as the formal instructions from Synology, I'll start disconnecting some of the Firewall rules to see if they truly are needed. But that's for another day..... Thanks guys for your suggestions....

I spoke repeatedly with tier 1 technical who eventually had me allow tier 2 to SSH in and poke around. There opinion: "Can't Be Done"... Really? Not wishing to give up, I looked into the Wi-Fi setup of the printer, bearing in mind I also have the printer connected to my network switch. While looking at the client list of devices, I see that understandably its connected via "Wi-Fi"... But why does it show it and not the hardwired network connection. I found an option that I was unaware of previously. It's "DISABLE Wi-Fi"..... I took a chance and once I ticked that, It worked! Full Multi Function ops from all PC's. I then checked the client device list in both areas of the Router Mgmt. and it still showed it was on Wi-Fi.... I repeatedly refreshed those screens over 15 minutes with no change. Finally I checked again and it changed to "Wired"... Why it takes so long to refresh is unknown, but I'm glad I did not start changing other settings thinking nothing changed. As far as the formal instructions from Synology, I'll start disconnecting some of the Firewall rules to see if they truly are needed. But that's for another day..... Thanks guys for your suggestions....
Can’t be done?
Synology publishes this to show it can be done.

However, I still cannot make it work on my network. I’ve been going back and forth between two different tickets, the tier 1 techs are telling me different things that conflict with the link I posted above.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.