Currently reading
Mixing Drive speeds/cache size

NAS
DS213J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I've been using a 920+ with qty 3 ST4000VN008 Ironwold 4TB 5900 RPM/64 cache drives from B&H. I'm adding a 4th. But this drive is disco'd and the replacement 4TB drive ST4000VN006 is 5400RMP/256 cache.

I'm sure it will work, but will performance be affected with the miss match of RPM? will I get vigration issues? OR does the larger cache make up for the slower RPM Speed. Irealize as I go to mix in larger drives those will be at 7200RMP. But just want to know if the 5400 will slow it down, in that case I may go larger to get a faster RMP burt that will be expensive and I dont' need that much room now.

Thanks,

The sequencial speeds are roughly the same, access time may be bit higher, agree that you will probably not notice as ethernet is bottleneck.
Is this 4th disk part of a raid?

The sequencial speeds are roughly the same, access time may be bit higher, agree that you will probably not notice as ethernet is bottleneck.
Is this 4th disk part of a raid?
Yes this will be part of the RAID.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.