Moments Moments iPhone backup not working wifi please help!

Currently reading
Moments Moments iPhone backup not working wifi please help!

NAS
DS1621+, DS1621+, DS918
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Not sure if this is the right area of the forum for this question or not, I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong section.

I have a ds1621+ on dsm6 and several family members using different phones (android/iPhone). I'm new to the whole nas scene in general, but I chose synology as it seemed to be the most popular and I assumed had the most support and most mature file and app support...? Why else would it be THE name in network storage.

On my android (Samsung s21) my moments app does not auto start the backup process, but does successfully backup after I manually launch the app and start the backup... Ok fine. I'd love for it to work automatically when connected to wifi at home, but that's not the reason for this post.

My wife has an iPhone. Moments ios app refuses to upload photos (files) from her device to the nas. It doesn't work if the app is not up front as the main app... As I understand that's an ios/apple thing - ok fine. But even leaving it on (the moments app), up front and running, set the display to never sleep, the app continues to fail to backup. Says unsupported file? I totally don't get that, but ok..skip that file/picture. Then it runs into another issue... Then stops syncing and says unable to backup. I can't remember the exact line but in the end, it fails to transfer the files from her phone to the nas... One of the reason I chose synology was the hype of moments being a great Google photos alternative.

Surely I'm doing something wrong? This seems like such a basic and simple task? Move the photos and videos from the iPhone folder over LAN wifi at home, to the nas... Simple...? I mean, what is network storage for if not to transfer files from A to B right...?

Not trying to be a jerk here, but this seems like a super trivial task, and one that should complete with ease... All I'm trying to do is move files from a folder on the iPhone over wifi to the nas... Surely this is simple so it must be me! What am I doing wrong? What have I missed? I've seen people suggest photosync, which cost a yearly fee, which is fine the dev can charge whatever they want for THEIR app... But surely synology's own app can accomplish this trivial task of moving files from the most popular phone in the world over our own wifi to the nas without the need for a 3rd party app? It must be me. I must be doing something wrong!? I could ALMOST justify this issue if it were on the android, but the iPhone!? Really? C'mon....

I can't for the life of me understand the ios moments app complaining about an unsupported file type simply moving pics and vids from the phone to the nas? I mean at that stage of backing up isn't it a simple raw file transfer? Copy files from here to there. Boom. Done.

Please advise.

So while Moments does suppor the iphone HEIC format it is odd that it does fail. Reason for my answer is that if you just started with DSM and this unit it might not be a bad idea to migrate to DSM 7. Reason is that as soon as do that in the near future or at some point, Moments will be gone and replaced by a new app, Synology Photos.

Photos on the other hand does a great job of auto backup photos and videos (tested it myself) so that should mitigate your problems right there.

I have only just started with nas(es?) is general. I wanted more storage for my media pc server and this just seemed like the right way to do that. I'm only just learning what other things a nas box can do. I'm not a fan of immediately jumping on the "new update" band wagon, it almost always takes a few months to shake out the bugs once a release comes out and the test pool increases from the know it all beta testers who can always handle little problems (which is why their beta testers) to the general masses and the guys like me who don't have a clue! I'm fear is deciding to try to setup something (on dsm7) that has loads of community documentation and help because "xyz" task ran flawlessly on dsm6 but dsm7 broke "xyz" task and I'm beating my head with a stick because I'm not knowledgeable enough yet in the nas world. But I do agree that dsm7 and whatever photos app takes the crown will obviously be the way to migrate too. Plus I'm watching a lot of YouTube videos of people saying this broke in dsm7, wait for the next updated release, wait for the app devs to fix their apps to be compatible etc... I just want the damn thing to work.. LoL.

So to be clear, the suggestion here is to use synology photos on dsm6 and the iPhone to move the files (pics/vids) from the iPhone to the Synology, I'm assuming they (the files) probably go to the same folder? Or does photos and moments use separate folders for storage on the Synology. Once the pics are on the Synology using photos would I still be able to use moments? Or scrap moments all together on dsm6 for now?

Thanks for the reply.
(and sorry for the long winded post here)

A valid point on the "new and shiny" no question there, but do keep in mind that the new Photos app is only accessible via DSM 7, and Moments is not. So if you do end up upgrading at any point in time you will have to face Photos as Moments will be replaced, that's what I'm saying.

So no point in using something that was deprecated, unless you plan on staying on DSM 6 for the next few years.

What!? 🤯
Ok, I didn't realize that. I thought whatever "photos" was in dsm7 was photo & moments in one app now. I didn't realize moments was "gone". So all the facial setup I'm doing combining people etc is all for nothing?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.