Monitoring security cameras at 2 sites via Surveillance Station with Ubiquiti controllers

Currently reading
Monitoring security cameras at 2 sites via Surveillance Station with Ubiquiti controllers

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have 2 separate sites with separate public IP's. I have security cameras at both sites and want to monitor all the cameras with surveillance station. The controllers for both sites are hosted at my home site on my Synology NAS.

This is the ubiquiti gear at home:
1670128454459.png

While this is the gear I have at the 2nd site/barn:
1670128430326.png

Currently, my NAS at home is at 192.168.1.50 while my home camera is on a camera VLAN at 192.168.4.9. Surveillance station can see this camera and I have no issues with its operation. The barn camera will be at 192.168.12.10. However, I haven't ever been able to see my barn camera with surveillance station, and it is my understanding that this is because SS will not receive feeds over WAN and will only work over LAN/VLAN. It was my understanding that by migrating my barn controller to my home controller as a 2nd site that I'd somehow be able to set up a VPN or VLAN or something between the 2 sites that'd fool SS into thinking they were all on the same local net. However, I do not know the best way how to do that and would appreciate any advice. @jeyare, you'd been instrumental in getting the initial ubiquiti setup going, so if you have any input here I'd appreciate it. TIA.

and it is my understanding that this is because SS will not receive feeds over WAN and will only work over LAN/VLAN
Incorrect.

This works fine. Using them over the Internet (different subnets) or via a stretched LAN (site-to-site VPN) with different subnets.

Have you opened the port from the incoming feed for the remote camera? Communication is one, but video feed is another matter. Consult the manual and be sure to know what ports and protocols the camera use in order to get a remote feed going.

Most IP cameras have an http, media, and rtmp port (and protocol as well), so be sure that that is not the main issue here 1st.

Upvote 0
Incorrect.

This works fine. Using them over the Internet (different subnets) or via a stretched LAN (site-to-site VPN) with different subnets.

Have you opened the port from the incoming feed for the remote camera? Communication is one, but video feed is another matter. Consult the manual and be sure to know what ports and protocols the camera use in order to get a remote feed going.

Most IP cameras have an http, media, and rtmp port (and protocol as well), so be sure that that is not the main issue here 1st.
Has this changed or been updated in the last year or two? I'd have to find my old threads either here or on another forum, but I distinctly recall being told that I'd need to set up a VPN between the sites or something along those lines. Perhaps I was given bad info or misunderstood the old advice.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back