More storage in my NAS

Currently reading
More storage in my NAS

Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have two 4TB drives in my DS216J NAS. I am not using RAID. These drives are pooled as Volume1, so I have about 7.25 TB available. Naturally, all of this data is backed up. I want to add more space.
1) Can I just replace one of the drives with an 8TB (and restore the data), or will this mess up the pool?
2) Can I put TWO 8TB hard drives in it? That would be the path of least resistance, but can the unit support it? I don't want to wait until I buy them and I try it to find out there is a limit. :)
3) Am I going about this the wrong way?
Adding an external hard drive is out of the question, because the system will not encrypt a "usbshare".
Thanks much! I appreciate help here.

So a single volume with both drives? RAID0 maybe after all?

Can you share a screen of your volume from the Storage Manager just so we are clear what exact setup you have?

but can the unit support it?
It will support it

3) Am I going about this the wrong way?
No. If you have a backup of that data and what to max out your space in the NAS, nothing wrong about that.

Upvote 0
Here it is the storage manager snapshot.
Are you saying that two 8TB is the limit?

Attachments

• Storage manager.jpg
    Storage manager.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0
1) Can I just replace one of the drives with an 8TB (and restore the data), or will this mess up the pool?
Not possible to change drives with JBOD. You must start over to add larger drives
2) Can I put TWO 8TB hard drives in it? That would be the path of least resistance, but can the unit support it? I don't want to wait until I buy them and I try it to find out there is a limit.
You could put two 16TB drives in there if you desired. 8TB is fine. There is no drive size limitation.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.