Question mount google drive as file location?

Currently reading
Question mount google drive as file location?

NAS
DS1019+ DSM6
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
is it possible to mount Google Drive so that it can be used as a location for plex (for example)?
i'm guessing so that it shows up as a location in file station

is it possible to mount Google Drive so that it can be used as a location for plex (for example)?
i'm guessing so that it shows up as a location in file station
Not that I know of. You can get your GDrive in FS but as a remote mount not something that will be "local" in the way for Plex to see

This is what you get:

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 19.06.01.jpg

think you're missing the point there.
the point is to NOT have the data stored locally, but in the cloud, and simply have the NAS see that cloud location as a storage "folder".

think you're missing the point there.
the point is to NOT have the data stored locally, but in the cloud, and simply have the NAS see that cloud location as a storage "folder".
This is something that is coming with DSM7 + C2 called HybridShare feature.

For now, Rclone can do this. For the Docker inclined...

... or install Rclone directly.

For mounting... this should help...

Another resource I found handy.

Hmmm but in case of storage for now it's a good and cheap solution, any other commercial solution is way more expensive. If you host all yourself or elsewhere you pay for it.
True but having 50TB+ or more at your self-host location even with all the additional cost is worth more then hosting with G. Nothing personal, just my point of view thats all.

I hear what you are saying and ofc it makese sense in many scenarios until the provider forces you to use Workspace and pay double in the long run...

Last edited:
Luka, what do you have against G? ;) If you know things that can have impact on the way i have it organised now let me know.
Currently with the backup routine i use now i use total of approx 12 TB in G. But that is using the default versions which can be lower imho.

Luka, what do you have against G
Like I said it's just my personal view of things towards the company. Relying on them in the long-run has proven to be risky if its for backup scenarios (not loss of data), some apps and services that are small and not business oriented up to things like GSuite (Workspaces) that they are clearly forcing users towards to.

IMHO anyone with 10+TB of backup space would be far better off to just invest in their own storage infrastructure and host it that way, especially a NAS user. But, again, just my 2c.

If you know things that can have impact on the way i have it organised now let me know
Nothing at all, again, just my point of view over the years. Let's say I would sleep better knowing that my data is guarded elsewere than in a clear hybrid service that Google didnt intended for such use, but people are obviously using it.

Now it is time to pay even more. Why is something that I keep asking myself. Ok Workspace might offer more features but do you really need it all or do you need those features or just space?

20-30$/m for google storage is the same as having a 4bay NAS with RAID5 (4x10TB) over a period of 5y. At current prices, you are looking at less then 1€/day (25€/m) for that setup. Of that's just the HW side ofc, but it's private, its yours and its a lot more then just raw storage. Again, just my point of view.

Last edited:
Thanks Luka!

You've been very helpful.

Q: Syno (and others) do advise to backup Gsuite and Office365 also, people rely on these big companies to never loose any data; is that logic or do you know situations that people did loose data (emails/etc) using these services and do you advise to have also backups?
I have a customer that uses 365 and isn't aware that this could be an issue

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.