Currently reading
Mounting shared files in MacOS as NFS on Synology

NAS
DS713+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi there, I'm trying to mount a folder from a local machine (running macOS 12.6) on my Synology (DS713+) using NFS.
(I'm using my synology as a docker context and need to bind mount a volume in my docker compose).

I've already added the folder I want to share on the local machine in /etc/exports:
[/etc]$ cat exports
/Users/waleed/development/data -ro -network 192.168.2.137 -mask 255.255.0.0
[/etc]$ showmount -e
Exports list on localhost:
/Users/waleed/development/data 192.168.2.137

And now I'm trying to mount it on the synology side, but can't seem to figure out the proper way to reference it. Here's how I'm specifying the address of the NFS mount.
192.168.50.106:/thirteen2/Users/waleed/development/data

One complication that might be causing issues is that my laptop is on a different subnet (192.168.50.) than my synology (192.168.2.).

I'm a beginner to network mounting on synology, so hopefully I'm not missing something super obvious. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• nfs_error.png
    nfs_error.png
    111 KB · Views: 46
I'm assuming you are using you Mac (192.168.50.106/24) to access the NAS (192.168.2.137/16) which confirms that there is access in that direction. The next thing is to confirm that the NAS can connect back to the Mac, which can be trickier depending if you have services running on the Mac or not.

Firstly, do you have the Mac's firewall (or third party firewall) enabled? If you do then this could be blocking inbound requests. Next, is there a firewall between the two subnets that is blocking access from the NAS towards the Mac? And obviously, finally are your NFS client connection settings correct in DSM (which I've never used). You could also try connecting to Mac SMB shares (set up in System Preferences / Sharing) from the File Station.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.