Move HDD's from failed DS410 to DS415+ ?

Currently reading
Move HDD's from failed DS410 to DS415+ ?

NAS
DS410
Operating system
  1. Windows
My DS410 has failed and after trying a new drive in bay 1, i could get to it via assistant and try to reinstall DSM but failed each time - therefore i'm assuming it is deceased and no more.

I picked up a second hand DS415+ today as i've read a few things that i think indicated a manual migration should be possible.

I've installed another spare in Bay 1 of the 415 and it is now up and running with latest DSM.

I've put 2,3,4 from the 410 in their bays and stopped at this point.

I am seeing this below which i'm hopeful means its going to rebuild my old data - i just want to be 100% before i press the button...

No backups of my data of course (will be corrected after this little episode), so i need to be sure

Advice appreciated (y)

D

1684267710734.png

So this is a recommendation based on a detection from DSM. Offering to make a "old"/new volume. This means that the disk in bay 1 is already in its own storage pool/volume. If so, continue with the assembly.

Considering there is no backup, hope for the best, nothing more you can do at this point other then putting the drives on a Linux instance and mount it out for data recovery.

So this is a recommendation based on a detection from DSM. Offering to make a "old"/new volume. This means that the disk in bay 1 is already in its own storage pool/volume. If so, continue with the assembly.

Considering there is no backup, hope for the best, nothing more you can do at this point other then putting the drives on a Linux instance and mount it out for data recovery.
Thanks - I shall give that a go - my plan is to hopefully recover these to a local USB drive - then start a fresh with all 4 drives in one pool.

Cheers

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.