DSM 7.1 Move securly the docker package and /volumeX/docker/ shared folder from HDD to SSD

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 Move securly the docker package and /volumeX/docker/ shared folder from HDD to SSD

NAS
DS920+, DS214play
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello,
I recently installed a SSD in my NAS, and create a volume4 for it.
I want to move on this ssd all the docker content : the package and the data stored in /volume1/docker/.

Currently, I use Portainer to deploy all my container with docker-compose.yml files, except Portainer itself witch requires a docker-compose in a terminal.
I also use a private gitea instance to deploy them.
So my installation order are :
  1. Portainer, with a terminal and a docker-compose up -d command
  2. then Gitea, with Portainer, in it's editor's stack.
  3. then all other container I used with the gitea's repository.

So, what is the most secure way to migrate all my container and the docker package on the SSD (volume4) ?

Thanks in advance ;)

Good plan, the ssd will probably speed op the docker. it is an application (like PHP web sites) that will benefit from the much lower SSD latency of accessing many files and process them on the syno box.

Moving packages to another volume is not supported. The supported way to do this is:
1) You must hyperbackup the docker files,
2) un-install the docker package from the non-ssd volume
3) re-install docker at the SSD volume.
4) Then restore the docker files

Good plan, the ssd will probably speed op the docker. it is an application (like PHP web sites) that will benefit from the much lower SSD latency of accessing many files and process them on the syno box.

Moving packages to another volume is not supported. The supported way to do this is:
1) You must hyperbackup the docker files,
2) un-install the docker package from the non-ssd volume
3) re-install docker at the SSD volume.
4) Then restore the docker files
Thanks for the reply.
The uninstalling / reinstall on the ssd was what I intended to do 😉
But I would like to know if the share folder move by dsm is possible ?
1664825205753.png

You can change the location of a shared folder via shared folder settings, you can choose the volume that it is located.
Yes, that's what I screenshot ;)
But my question was : is it preferable to do with this change of location, or with the Hyperbackup backup & restore way ?

Last edited:
If you can move it this way, you will be fine, but the docker package itself will not be moved, just your shared volume named docker. You first have to uninstall the docker package before you can move the docker shared volume. So hyper backup is safer, as you retain the settings.

If you can move it this way, you will be fine, but the docker package itself will not be moved, just your shared volume named docker. You first have to uninstall the docker package before you can move the docker shared volume.
I know ^^
So, here what I'm going to do :
  • shutdown the docker package, and uninstall it.
  • move the docker folder on the volume4
  • install the docker on the volume4.

With that way, will I get my Portainer and my other container work as before without rerinstall them ?
edit : because on all of them, the volume I use are on /volume1/docker/containerX/..., and this path is set in the docker-compose.yml files.

So, here what I'm going to do :
  • shutdown the docker package, and uninstall it.
  • move the docker folder on the volume4
  • install the docker on the volume4.

With that way, will I get my Portainer and my other container work as before without rerinstall them ?
This will work fine. Portainer like any other contianer will work, but ofc your volume mapping will need to be reconfigured in order to connect to the volumes.

If the compose file and containers are configred to vol1 then you will have to change that to vol4 before starting the containers.

Last edited:
This will work fine. Portainer like any other contianer will work, but ofc your volume mapping will need to be reconfigured in order to connect to the volumes.

If the compose file and containers are configred to vol1 then you will have to change that to vol4 before starting the containers.

I thought the same thing for the volumes mapping ;)
-- post merged: --

Hello agin ;)
I stopped the Docker container, and I try to move the docker folder to the SSD with DSM shared folder move function, but it told me that I have to deactivate Docker before.
Ok, so I go see to un-install it ;)
And I'm not sure if I check or not this option :
1664871596111.png

I'm pretty sure if I check this checkbox, I'll loose the /volume1/docker folder I want to move... :eek:
Am I right ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.