Moved into coworking office. Synology network connection slow. Direct connection fast. Not sure how to troubleshoot

Currently reading
Moved into coworking office. Synology network connection slow. Direct connection fast. Not sure how to troubleshoot

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi,
I'm not particularly tech savvy when it comes to Network things. But as the title says, I moved into a coworking office and all of a sudden my network connection to my DS920+ is slow. Here are a few details:

• DS920+ connected to office network via Cat5e
  • Windows PC connected to office network via Cat6
  • Read speeds are 10mbps
  • When directly connected to PC via Cat5e/Cat6, speeds are 110mbps
  • Internet upload/download speeds about 180mbps
I assume therefore the issue lies with the network somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly how to troubleshoot. As I'm in a cowork space I expect there could be some questions I need to ask the proprietors so some help would be appreciated in figuring out what to ask.

Please let me know if there's more information I could provide.

Any help is much appreciated.

Tom.

all of a sudden my network connection to my DS920+ is slow
Welcome to the forum!

What exact use case is in question here? Outside access, internal access, SMB transfers, what other protocols? So can you explain what you are doing and how, that is resulting in these slow speeds?

• Read speeds are 10mbps
  • When directly connected to PC via Cat5e/Cat6, speeds are 110mbps
  • Internet upload/download speeds about 180mbps
Are you sure the first two aren’t megabytes per second, because they sound very slow as megabits per second.

That it’s faster transfer when direct connecting would suggest that the indirect (using the building’s infrastructure) path has either: lower speed networking for internal-internal connections; some speed limiting for internal connections.

Are you connecting using the NAS internal IP, or going out to the Internet and back (e.g. QuickConnect Relay).

That it’s faster transfer when direct connecting would suggest that the indirect (using the building’s infrastructure) path has either: lower speed networking for internal-internal connections; some speed limiting for internal connections.
That also suggests some cheaped out internal cabling or perhaps a bad drop connector. Would try an alternate connector if local connected PCs etc aren't having this issue as well.

Are you sure the first two aren’t megabytes per second, because they sound very slow as megabits per second.

Are you connecting using the NAS internal IP, or going out to the Internet and back (e.g. QuickConnect Relay).
To clarify,
It's MB/s. I've attached two images of Blackmagic Speed test. The first is when it's connected via the office network. The second is when it's directly connected to my PC.

I think I'm using the NAS internal IP? I mapped the drive using Synology Assistant, which appears to show the IP address. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Again I'm not a network expert.
-- post merged: --

Welcome to the forum!

What exact use case is in question here? Outside access, internal access, SMB transfers, what other protocols? So can you explain what you are doing and how, that is resulting in these slow speeds?
Use case is that I'm in video production so it's just file storage/working files. Internal access mostly but potentially later setting up external access.

Before I moved the NAS from my home to the office, I was not having this issue. Both the NAS and my PC were directly connected to my router at home.

Attachments

• blackmagic speed test.jpg
    blackmagic speed test.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 13
  • blackmagic speed test 02.jpg
    blackmagic speed test 02.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 13
  • synology01.jpg
    synology01.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 13
Ok. So 110 MB/s is reaching the peak transfer rate for 1 GbE interfaces. But I would question the office management about why their internal networking is limiting inter-device transfer speeds. There could be old wiring or rate limiting between desks ports.

You may want to ask if you can connect a small network switch to the office LAN port and connect you devices to it: a small 5 port unmanaged switch would be sufficient, i.e. the cheapest switch type there is. Or a small firewall: they may want you to disable any wireless feature on a firewall. My preference would be a firewall if this is a multi-tenant office environment.

Note: I would just check your DSM settings to be sure that there are no Traffic Control rules that limit transfer speeds. It’s unlikely you have set these, but worth confirming.

I would also suggest to check the LAN connection speed under both scenarios (direct and building). On DSM, go to:
Control panel > Network > Network interface
Expand LAN 1 (or two if you're using that) and check the network status.

In both scenarios, it should say:
1000 Mbps, Full duplex, MTU 1500

Edit: check your Windows machine too (I’m not sure how, something under networks somewhere 🤪).

I would also suggest to check the LAN connection speed under both scenarios (direct and building). On DSM, go to:
Control panel > Network > Network interface
Expand LAN 1 (or two if you're using that) and check the network status.

In both scenarios, it should say:
1000 Mbps, Full duplex, MTU 1500

Edit: check your Windows machine too (I’m not sure how, something under networks somewhere 🤪).
Ok, I check this morning and this is what I'm getting (first image), but when I plugged in the NAS using the ethernet cable/port that my computer had been using I got the second image. I think one of the ethernet connections in my office could be at fault

Attachments

• synology02.jpg
    synology02.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 14
  • synology03.jpg
    synology03.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 14
So you ruled out the cables by swapping them and now it’s down to the provided port. I guess you’ll need to talk to management and show them. They should fix it or move you to another place.

Another option (as suggested by @fredbert) is to bring your own small switch and utilize the good port to uplink it while you have your two devices connected to it. This way they’ll have full speed for their own traffic on the local switch (of course you’ll need to mention it to them).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.