Currently reading
Movies splitted in multiple files

www.weemple.com
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Dear All,
currently Video Station and DS video, don't support the reproduction of movies splitted on multiple files.
Plex and Kodi does, by adding a "part#" at the end of the file name.

The good news is that I exposed the issue to Synology, by providing a new Feature Inquiry, and they approved! 🥳
It should be available on a future release!

Have a nice day!
Marco

I googled around to find the right ffmpeg commands to merge files of multi-part M4V films into a single file. On Mac I made these notes (requires Perl and ffmpeg) on how to do it. It’s successful if the video track dimensions are the same for each file. It’s run from the folder where the files are.

================================
Using FFmpeg to concatenate multiple files in a folder use this command.

Bash:
ls Input*.m4v  | \
perl -ne 'print "file $_"' | \
ffmpeg -protocol_whitelist file,pipe -f concat -i - -map 0:v:0 -map 0:a -c copy Output.m4v

This should take two or more files, e.g. Input1.m4v...Input9.mv4, and concatenate the video tracks and all audio tracks.

Overcoming errors:
-protocol_whitelist file,pipe file and pipe errors mitigated by this instruction
-map 0:v:0 -map 0:a this says to take the first video track and all audio tracks (0: is the first input 'file/stream' instruction)

Last edited:
Wow, interesting @fredbert! (y)
I think that the most easier and quicker format to concatenate file, is MKV.
But when one has many content with many different format, then better to have a player that support it! ;)

Last edited:
What do you mean? Synology is extremely slow? Anyway, for now, for the movies splitted on parts, is possible to play them via "By folder". I will wait 😬💀

I think that the "Plex & Kodi already does", can be a good motivation to Synology.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.