DS918+, DS414j
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello
I've got 1 drive I want to move into my NAS, the old server has died so I can't spin it up.
Is there any way to keep the data on the drive and import it into my new NAS?
The only information I can find is about migrating from 1 NAS to another and I don't want to do that as this NAS is up and running and configured how I want it to be.

I've got 1 drive I want to move into my NAS, the old server has died so I can't spin it up.
You've given us very little information. For example, what is the DSM version of the drive and the NAS you want to use. Which pool type of the drive in question... how many drives were in that pool... what is formatting of the drive in question.

Sorry, both were Dsm 7.
Single drive from single pool.
Can't remember which format it was but both are supported anyway.

Sorry, both were Dsm 7.
Single drive from single pool.
Can't remember which format it was but both are supported anyway.
Generally, if that would be a "secondary" pool it shouldn't matter what DSM that previous model was running, you should still be able to see the content of the volume. Still, data migration usually requires both models to run the same version of DSM, but that is because of the DSM volume in question. For your needs, I think the NAS should detect the volume on it. You might need to reboot the nas after you insert the drive in order to detect it all, but that will depend.

Since this is a standalone drive, you should be able to plug it in "hot" to a spare slot on your 918+, and see its files, and copy them over to an existing volume on the 918+. The drive may undergo some "migration" process as it is recognized by the NAS.

Alternately, you should be able to retrieve your files via USB dock attached to a PC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.