Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
  2. other
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I have a DS1513+ that has served me well as a backup server to my DS1821+. I've decided to get a DX517 to attach to the DS1821+ and have it take over all the work for the DS1513+. Is it possible to take the 5 disks out of the DS1513+, that is all one Storage Group and one Volume, and install them in the correct order into the New DX517 Expansion Box, and expect it to work, or am I asking too much here? Or does conventional wisdom say to copy all the data from the DS1513+ to the DX517? This is only a pain because I don't have 5 6TB drives to populate the DX517 to the same capacity. I'd have to start smaller and then enlarge the array which I would prefer not to do due to the extra stress on the drives. Ideas? Comments?

Thanks
Dan

Solution
My Bad I did mean the DX517, brain fart. Sorry for the confusion. I'll fix the post. That's what I get for trying to do computer stuff while installing windows in my house.
In that case, it will work. Migrating the drives over will work just fine as long as the bare metal is compatible (and ofc the DSM version needs to be on the same level or newer).
Can you just confirm you really do mean DX513 and not the DX517?

The DS1821+ does not support the DX513…

Upvote 0
Good question !
I own 2 Dx213 connected to a 1513+ and wonder if it will be possible to connect them to more recent units like the 1518+ or 1520+ ?

Upvote 0
Can you just confirm you really do mean DX513 and not the DX517?

The DS1821+ does not support the DX513…

My Bad I did mean the DX517, brain fart. Sorry for the confusion. I'll fix the post. That's what I get for trying to do computer stuff while installing windows in my house.

Upvote 0
In that case, it will work. Migrating the drives over will work just fine as long as the bare metal is compatible (and ofc the DSM version needs to be on the same level or newer).

Upvote 0
Solution
It worked flawlessly, I just had to run the "on-line assembly", and "data scrubbing" and everything is intact, and running just fine. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.