DS412+,DS415+,DS1817+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi, I have been running a Docker DSM for quite some time now on my main Synology. I'd like to keep that DockerDSM but I need to remove/disable it before I can upgrade to DSM Version: 6.2.4-25556. I have another Synology that I can keep on the DSM version 6.2.3-25426 Update 3.

So I'd like to find a way to move the DockerDSM to my other machine. Anyone has a clue how I can do this?

Q

I may be completely misunderstanding your problem, and if so I apologize.
From Docker, you can export the entire container, including its data, at Container, then choose the container you want to export, then go to Settings, and then Export. In Docker on the target machine, you can then import it.

Upvote 0
I think this is a reference to the old, deprecated DDSM (DSM via Docker), that is no longer supported in the latest versions of DSM/Docker.

So I'd like to find a way to move the DockerDSM to my other machine. Anyone has a clue how I can do this?
As I said, this is not something that will work with the current version of the Docker package or DSM for that matter. If you want DDSM then you will need a specific version of Docker for Syno in order to have DDSM support in the 1st place.

If you do you will then be able to install it as normal, but not sure how you would migrate it as such considering that the installation process of DDMS is executed via UI.

In any case, using DDSM, in the long run, is something that you should consider moving away from considering that you will at one point hit a wall with Docker package and DSM compatibility. A newer version of the Docker package will ask for a specific version of DSM so if you want to be up to date, eventually you will have to upgrade and essentially lose DDSM support.

Way forward for a "virtual" DSM is using a similar process but via VMM package and booting up VirtualDSM. It's heavier on the resources than DDSM but it is the only official way atm that Synology supports.

More info on DDSM being deprecated: Synology Community

Upvote 0
I think this is a reference to the old, deprecated DDSM (DSM via Docker), that is no longer supported in the latest versions of DSM/Docker.

As I said, this is not something that will work with the current version of the Docker package or DSM for that matter. If you want DDSM then you will need a specific version of Docker for Syno in order to have DDSM support in the 1st place.

If you do you will then be able to install it as normal, but not sure how you would migrate it as such considering that the installation process of DDMS is executed via UI.

In any case, using DDSM, in the long run, is something that you should consider moving away from considering that you will at one point hit a wall with Docker package and DSM compatibility. A newer version of the Docker package will ask for a specific version of DSM so if you want to be up to date, eventually you will have to upgrade and essentially lose DDSM support.

Way forward for a "virtual" DSM is using a similar process but via VMM package and booting up VirtualDSM. It's heavier on the resources than DDSM but it is the only official way atm that Synology supports.

More info on DDSM being deprecated: Synology Community
Yes, this is a reference to the deprecated DDSM. It's currently still running on my main machine running DSM version 6.2.3-25426, but I want to upgrade. So I need to do something, but would like to keep this DDSM instance for a while for specific reasons.
I DO have another Synology available that I can keep on this version for a while, so hence the question: is it possible to move the DDSM instance?
-- post merged: --

From Docker, you can export the entire container, including its data, at Container, then choose the container you want to export, then go to Settings, and then Export. In Docker on the target machine, you can then import it.
I know how I can export "Normal" docker images. Synology used to have a version of DSM on docker (DDSM) and I still have one running that I'd like to keep for now. And there is no "Export" function for DDSM...

Upvote 0
If you have a spare Synology laying around I would say give it a try and see what happens before updating your main nas. Export the ddsm from your main nas, install the right Docker version on your spare nas and import the ddsm image and see if it works.;)

Upvote 0
If you have a spare Synology laying around I would say give it a try and see what happens before updating your main nas. Export the ddsm from your main nas, install the right Docker version on your spare nas and import the ddsm image and see if it works.;)
Hi Bob,

the issue is: I cannot export it via GUI.
I did copy the /volume1/docker and /volume1/@docker and /volume1/DockerDSM folders from the cli with tar, but that's not enough to make DDSM work on the spare DSM.
(it does copy all the other docker images just fine btw., and they run...)
Might be a DockerDSM license issue, I guess I'm stuck then?

Upvote 0
Hi Bob,

the issue is: I cannot export it via GUI.
I did copy the /volume1/docker and /volume1/@docker and /volume1/DockerDSM folders from the cli with tar, but that's not enough to make DDSM work on the spare DSM.
(it does copy all the other docker images just fine btw., and they run...)
Might be a DockerDSM license issue, I guess I'm stuck then?
You’re right I see, it isn’t possible to export ddsm, but you could try to export the settings within ddsm (see screenshot) and then install ddsm on your spare nas, set it up as new and than import the exported settings.

Attachments

• D048EB1C-BD10-4B32-A2D8-13F51D02CBDE.jpeg
    D048EB1C-BD10-4B32-A2D8-13F51D02CBDE.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0
You’re right I see, it isn’t possible to export ddsm, but you could try to export the settings within ddsm (see screenshot) and then install ddsm on your spare nas, set it up as new and than import the exported settings.
Hi Bob, that would have been a good option, however I do not have the DDSM on the other Synology, and you cannot activate a new DDSM anymore (stopped I think in June 2020).

So I guess I'm stuck ...

Upvote 0
Hi Bob, that would have been a good option, however I do not have the DDSM on the other Synology, and you cannot activate a new DDSM anymore (stopped I think in June 2020).

So I guess I'm stuck ...
Yes I guess your are stuck...but that dependence on what you are using ddsm for.

You always have the option of using VMM and running a DSM version on that. Or possibly another VM, but this all depends on what you are using ddsm for.

I only use ddsm for VPN. I use it as a VPN gateway for my LAN network. But I have found some other solutions for that. I installed Debian in VMM and that now serves as a VPN gateway.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.