Currently reading
Moving Files and Speed

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
As I speak, I am transferring my files from my old external HD to the nas. I have noticed the upload speed is painstakingly slow. I am assuming this is because its a transfer from a USB HD to the NAS via network. A lot of bottlenecks there. Can someone please confirm? Thank you.

Hard to say - what is the external drive attached to NAS? PC/MAC?
-- post merged: --

And define painstakingly slow please...what transfer speeds are you seeing?

Last edited:
I have a USB Seagate External HD plugged in to a USB-C adapter into a 2020 MacBook Pro.

As far as speeds, Resource Center shows it bouncing around but never more than 10 mbs
-- post merged: --

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 3.03.17 PM.png

Since you're moving files and not copying them then just sit it out and let it finish. Generally it's wiser to copy in case something goes wrong (you can start from the beginning) but that's not useful now.

This would be one of the one-time jobs I used Carbon Copy Cloner so that I'm sure that I have made a successful clone of the source to destination, and it can pick up from part way if needs be. Or hand-crank an rsync.

You may want to open Activity Monitor on the Mac and you'll be able to see the data sent/received in the Disk and Network views. That should give you some idea how well it's going vs expected for HDD read and LAN send.

All fair point, but as @Coop777 asked: "Is the Mac connected wirelessly or wired to your network?" would be the right question atm.

If it's wifi and on a 2.4GHz "problematic/saturated" network, that would explain a lot.

never more than 10 mbs
What unit is this exactly?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.