DS218+ 8GB RAM, DS212
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Last edited:
Just moved from DS212 to DS218+.

I have had an external USB drive connected to the DS212 and have nightly Hyper Backup jobs to that drive.

I used Hyper Backup rsync to copy my Hyper Backup config from DS212 -> DS218+, and have moved the USB drive to the DS218+. I also re-linked the backup task, and the task shows the target as online.

Now on the DS218+ I do see all my backup jobs listed, but they all show as "no backup completed." None of the backup history appears to have been brought over. Is there any way to also bring over the backup history?

2020-03-07 09_40_40-Bailey - Synology DiskStation.jpg

Attachments

• 2020-03-07 08_59_34-Bailey - Synology DiskStation.jpg
    2020-03-07 08_59_34-Bailey - Synology DiskStation.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thanks, @Rusty.

The only thing I've found so far is this, but it's a different use-case, upgrading size of backup drive on the same NAS.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've moved HB vaults and made new tasks to them. The new task shows as never run because it doesn't have a run status for itself (success, failed, alert) but the vault has the historical backup versions and I just see the Backup Statics are retained on a relinked vault.

This week I moved a USB backup drive from the DS218+ to DS215j and created a new DS218+ tasks (same settings) linked to the vault. I can go back to 2018 in version history and one year ago for stats.

It was daft of me to have the Internet accessible NAS have one of it's backups on an always connected USB drive. If the was ransomeware then the USB drive would be affected too. The DS215j is better protected.

I have moved a vault from RAID to USB and it worked too. The more painful move was a single-version copy as that had hundreds of thousands of files and they take ages. In the end I just did that copy afresh as it was just as quick.

Last edited:
......This week I moved a USB backup drive from the DS218+ to DS215j and created a new DS218+ tasks (same settings) linked to the vault. I can go back to 2018 in version history and one year ago for stats.

It was daft of me to have the Internet accessible NAS have one of it's backups on an always connected USB drive. If the was ransomeware then the USB drive would be affected too. The DS215j is better protected.

Thanks for all the details, @fredbert.

Above is particularly interesting, since I now have the DS212 available. 🙂

I'm curious about the process to move your backup drive from its USB connection on the DS218+ to an internal slot in the DS215j.

I've never moved a drive with files on it that I actually wanted to keep, into an existing NAS. What's the process to keep the NAS from formatting the drive you're adding and copying over the existing content from the drive in slot 1?

Didn't move the drive from USB into NAS, but USB port NAS 1 to USB port NAS 2. The DS215j is now hosting USB drives that I use for HB vaults/copies plus it's internal RAID has some archived, but accessible, data that is also backed up (to either bare disks or ones where I need to use a power brick from another enclosure).

Great, thanks, I had misunderstood.

So if I understand correctly you're using Hyper Backup to backup over your network from the DS218+ to the DS215j, and then you also backup your backups to the drive connected via USB to the DS215J. The DS218+ is internet accessible, but the DS215j is not. That sounds like the setup that I want to move towards

I also keep an off-site backup of a handful of "can't live without" files and rotate that anytime any of those files get modified. Paranoia is it's own reward. 😎

I backup from the DS218+ to a USB drive that's connected to the DS215j (it looks like any other shared folder). I also have the user Homes and some of the shared folders copied (single version HB task) to the DS215j internal RAID in case the DS218+ has a malfunction.

I also use Synology C2 Backup for offsite backup of a subset of the full backup (our photos and other documents we don't want to lose). The 300GB plan is more than enough for this.

If the house burns down or burglars nick everything then I want the photos and those documents. The rest of it .... well.

It's not a perfect solution but weighs cost vs risk and hardware failure is what I'm more addressing. And is an easier first step of recovery than using Data Rescue.

One thing I just realized I'm not sure how to do.

No sure if this is possible...Is there a way to force Hyper Backup to simply replicate some NAS folder structure/files on a USB drive, and not store the backup in an HBK file?

I have a USB stick that I'm going to connect to one of the NAS USB ports to hold a backup of a few files my wife needs regular access to and is just generally very concerned about having available to her. The backup won't have versioning, just the current copy every night of a few files. That way if something goes wrong and I'm away/unavailable she has a quick "no thought needed" option to simply plug the USB stick into her computer. No need to remember to use hyper backup explorer, etc. I've trained both my sons on steps to recover/restore so if I'm really "gone" so she has them as her NAS tech support team, but need soemething that is easy/quick if she's on her own.

I backup from the DS218+ to a USB drive that's connected to the DS215j (it looks like any other shared folder). I also have the user Homes and some of the shared folders copied (single version HB task) to the DS215j internal RAID in case the DS218+ has a malfunction.

I also use Synology C2 Backup for offsite backup of a subset of the full backup (our photos and other documents we don't want to lose). The 300GB plan is more than enough for this.

If the house burns down or burglars nick everything then I want the photos and those documents. The rest of it .... well.

It's not a perfect solution but weighs cost vs risk and hardware failure is what I'm more addressing. And is an easier first step of recovery than using Data Rescue.

Yeah, I've been using cloud sync to backup photos to Google Photos (since I use Google Photos to backup all my photos from my phone already). Same idea about ensuring we have our stuff if things go really wrong. The more stuff you have, the more time you have to worry about losing it. ;-)

No sure if this is possible...Is there a way to force Hyper Backup to simply replicate some NAS folder structure/files on a USB drive, and not store the backup in an HBK file?
Have you looked at USB Copy? On the DS218+ there's even a copy button and front USB port. You could use this and have schedule task to copy. I don't use it since checking it out but could be what you need.

If you are to use HB the you can select the 'USB or Local folder (single-version)' task type and it creates/maintains a folder/file copy. Just be sure to use a drive formatted so that the PC can read it too :) My normal HB USB drives are ext4, just like my NAS disks, so I don't have to think about compatibility issues with filenames.

Thanks, was using USB copy but wasn't aware of what the "single version" option provided, that sounds good so all my backup tasks are in one place. Thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.