Currently reading
Info Moving NAS to oversea

NAS
Ds2415+
Operating system
  1. Linux
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have DS2415+. I installed 12 HDD. Now I want to bring it to oversea with my trip in plane. The security want me to remove all HDD.
Could I remove and install them again w/o losing any data?

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer:

Obviously shut it down first. Now the next bit may be over cautious but can't hurt.

Take each disk out and, if you don't already do it, as you do it put a sticker on and write which bay it came from. You'll then be able to put each disk back into the same bay.

Obviously #2, pack each disk individually (bubble wrap, etc) and then bundle up into boxes en mass, however makes sense to you.

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer:

Obviously shut it down first. Now the next bit may be over cautious but can't hurt.

Take each disk out and, if you don't already do it, as you do it put a sticker on and write which bay it came from. You'll then be able to put each disk back into the same bay.

Obviously #2, pack each disk individually (bubble wrap, etc) and then bundle up into boxes en mass, however makes sense to you.
If we take HD out and we put them in the same bay what will happen? The ds2415+ could recognize the data in the past?

If we take HD out and we put them in the same bay what will happen? The ds2415+ could recognize the data in the past?
Refer to the short answer. The NAS won’t know that the disks have been removed while it has been switched off.

The disk’s data doesn’t leak out of the SATA connector when its disconnected.

Bay logging is unnecessary but do so if it makes you feel better.
The security want me to remove all HDD.
This is good practice as NAS movement would unnecessarily stress the disk connectors. Never transport a NAS with disks installed.

Bay logging is unnecessary but do so if it makes you feel better.
Hence the precursor to that...
Now the next bit may be over cautious but can't hurt.

Next you'll be saying lucky underwear doesn't work.

AC Input Power Voltage100V to 240V
Power Frequency50 Hz to 60 Hz, Single Phase

Depends which part of ‘overseas’ it’s moving to...

Depending on one's view of the accuracy of Wikipedia: Plug and socket differs but 100-240 V, 50-60 Hz pretty well covers it. Which, from my experience, is why most business level network security kit needs the right [, cheap] kettle lead for the geographic region it's being deployed but the internal power supply is the same.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.