Cyberwasp

Subscriber
NAS
Synology DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
When I first installed an ssd in my old hp pc I wondered about the lifespan of read/writes on the disk. So I thought it was a good idea to point my "download, pictures, videos, music," directories to an old HDD drive in the pc. So everything I saved to the system went to the disk drive keeping the ssd for just windows.

Now I have several Active backup for business routines running weekly. One backup the whole system twice a week and the other backs up files that change daily.

Here's the question. Instead of pointing those directories to the hdd, can I point them to the NAS. or is this overkill ;)

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
DS718+, DS918+, 2x RS3614RPxs+
Router
  1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Personally, if my mac goes up in flames right now I wouldn't twitch for a second regarding my data as it all lives on my NAS devices instead of on a single mac drive. So to answer your question directly, yes, IMHO, you should move your data to the NAS and keep them there.

Do keep in mind that you will have to have then backup for that data, as having them on the nas only will be a risk, and RAID is not classified as a backup.

Cyberwasp

Subscriber
NAS
Synology DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Currently I have two backups on the nas and a backup of the nas on and external drive. I tried doing a backup to google cloud but it never worked. Any luck with synology's cloud service?

NAS
DS1819+, DS1815+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have C2 cloud running for one of my clients and it just works. It also supports versioning, which is a nice feature.

NAS
DS620slim, DS415+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
All of my data is on the Syno, there not even one pc or mac that contains data files.
So yes, my photo shortcuts all point to the NAS.

Much easier to daily backup and share with the family.
The only exception I make is when editing video. Then I copy the file to local SSD until ready.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.