NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi,

So I'm away from home and wanted to check something out on the NAS. Basically I have a file not showing up in Plex and wanted to check its name. I've logged in via Tailscale but couldn't find the shared folder. At first I thought it was some strange permission when accessing the NAS remotely. However, after looking a little closer the whole shared folder seems to be moving??? I haven't initiated this and haven't done anything that I know of that has anything at all to do with this shared folder. Does anyone know what might be going on or can you point me in the right direction of how I can find this out.

Thanks 👍

Screenshot_20220102-124632.png
Screenshot_20220102-124824.png

As far as I know (I do not know everything fortunately) the only way to move a shared folder from the UI is to change its location (from one volume to another) in the shared folder setup screen:

configuration screen / shared folders / general /location

That is the only reason I can think of.

Upvote 0
As far as I know (I do not know everything fortunately) the only way to move a shared folder from the UI is to change its location (from one volume to another) in the shared folder setup screen:

configuration screen / shared folders / general /location

That is the only reason I can think of.
I definitely haven't done anything like that. I've just looked and can see the location of other shared folders like you mentioned but can't with this one. I presume because it's started moving to a different location and isn't available. I'm really stumped as to what's going on!

Thanks for your reply 👍

Upvote 0
In over 14y I haven't seen a root folder move by itself without being initiated by someone. This is not something that can be done automatically as far as I am aware.
Hey @Rusty,

I'm totally stumped! I've left it to continue moving until I got some advice, thinking it might just be some strange housekeeping.

Lately I've installed Tailscale, opened up the docker interface and checked a few things in control panel maybe, but haven't been anywhere near 'Shared Folders'. The only other thing I've done was give Synology Support remote access to try and find out why the DSM UI keeps crashing/closing down open windows. I created them a separate admin account but when they finished, I've turned off SSH, remote access and disabled the temporary admin account I created for them to use.

It's my 'data' shared folder that's moving. All it has in it is my Plex media folders. I don't even know how to find out where it's moving too lol.

I'll end the transfer then but not sure if that's going to put it back where it was or will just stop moving what's left?

Thanks buddy.

Upvote 0
Spooky odd. Do you have another volume on this machine? Scripts running? With only 300GB moved, it seems you may have triggered this when you logged in (just a guess)?
Hey @Telos,

Just the one volume. No scripts that I'm aware of. I have Plex, Tailscale, AV and the usual Synology apps... Photos, drive etc. Then everything else is in docker setup through a limited docker account.

I've just stopped the transfer and everything seems to be as it should be. Though its difficult to see properly when using my phone.

Does anyone know if there's anywhere (log of some sort) I can see when this transfer started? At least then I can workout if it started when I logged in, or perhaps when Plex started a library scan/clean-up etc.

Thanks 👍

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Repeat your Tailscale log in and see if something similar occurs.
Tried it a few times again but nothing happened.

If so, which Tailscale version are you using?
1.16.2-2013 on Synology
1.18.0 on Android

Both seem to be the latest builds. (y)
-- post merged: --

/var/log/messages file over ssh would be your best bet.
I've never used SSH before so was a bit lost. I managed to find messages, messages.1.xy and messages.2.xy but couldn't do anything with them.

I tried
Code:
scp -P XXXXX <source> <destination>
but got a permissions' error.

I also tried
Code:
cat messages
, but I think I may have needed to include the path or something as It couldn't find the file.

I knew a little MS Dos about 30+ years ago, but SSH is going to have to go on my 'need to learn' list along with everything else :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I've never used SSH before so was a bit lost. I managed to find messages, messages.1.xy and messages.2.xy but couldn't do anything with them.
Elevate to root account 1st once you log via ssh using sudo -i and then retype your initial password.

after that use cat /var/log/message. Should work.

Upvote 0
That is a rather old version. Manually install the Tailscale package from here. Similar to Plex, Synology does not keep current the Tailscale package. For rapidly evolving packages, it is often best to source from the developer site.
Hi @Telos, I'd seen 'Newest online version' in the package centre and mistakenly assumed it was correct :rolleyes:.

On 1.18.2-2015 now. Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.