Moving shared folders between volumes

Currently reading
Moving shared folders between volumes

NAS
DS-918+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Hi, I have this problem:

I have a DS918+ with one volume almost full. I created another volume and I want to move/migrate a couple of shared directories from the old to the new volume. I see that in Control Panel > Shared Folder > Edit > Location option I can choose the volume but I don't know if this is what I want. I am the only user and is a home installation, I don't need high availability or anything similar, just want to move the shared folder as simple as posible. Thanks in advance.

moving of the Shared folders between any volumes is common and safe operation
Thanks, I'll try it then.

Why not expand the existing volume? Multiple volumes on a 4-disk machine aren't often necessary.
I am planning on expanding the old volume, not just yet. I just want to move some things that i don't mind to have no redundancy out of the way while I wait for a definitive solution.

Last edited:
I have a similar problem but specifically relates to Photo Station app. I did not notice that during setup it seems to have put the Share "Photo" on volume 1 of my DS218 which I reserve for PC backups. Can I move it to Volume 2 and if so a) will Photo Station find it, and b) will it lose all my album user privilege settings? Any help appreciated. Need to resolve this before I add new albums and photos...

Can I move it to Volume 2 and if so a) will Photo Station find it, and b) will it lose all my album user privilege settings? Any help appreciated. Need to resolve this before I add new albums and photos...
All should be fine, as long as you change the shared folder Photos location via Control Panel/Shared Folders/Edit/Location.
Moving Shared Folders

Do not manually move the contents of the Photo shared folder.

That said, it's likely the Photo Station package is installed on Volume 1. No supported method for moving packages across volumes exists.

Many thanks for that. All done and dusted so back to setting up Albums for my scanned photos...

I never realised that we could choose on which volumes packages are installed. I understand you cannot move them but may be when Photo Station is superceded I can but its successor on Volume 2? Is there a discussion thread on this?

Thanks again.

Within Package Centre there will be an option in its Settings that enable you to select where packages are installed, or to ask for each package during installation. But this option is only visible when you have more than one volume. This is contrary to how Control Panel always shows a Volume selection for Shared Folders and User Home ... even when there is only one volume this is always displayed.

Give that it is possible to remove volumes then it would be nice if there was a way to migrate package installations from one volume to another. Especially as you get more aware of what you're doing and maybe want to tweak a NAS setup so that it better reflects how you want to work, rather that that monolithic storage pool you first envisaged as noob.*

*I count myself in this category too.

moving of the Shared folders between any volumes is common and safe operation
This ^^ I added an expansion unit and did the same thing - create new volume and move share folders there. It can take a while to move the folder , and you cannot create/delete/modify any other shared folders while the operation is in progress.

I found this out because I wanted to try moving several shared folders in parallel ( nope ! ) and also tried to create a new shared folder while a move was in progress( also got a big nope message from DSM ).

It's safer and perhaps also more performant to not span a volume across physical units. things such as losing power to one unit, unplugging the esata cable, etc have a wider effect if each unit depends on the other.

Now, if you lose access to your main unit, then of course both are not accessible. I set mine up so that critical files and media files were on the standlone unit, and other files are on the expansion unit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.