NAS
QNAP-453-BE
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hey there,

I'm actually a non happy QNAP TS-453BE user from Feb 2019 and there isn't much i can say about my experience with the NAS except one word: AWFUL !

i've heard a lot of positive reviews about Synology and i'm actually considering the move so in your opinion:

1. What's the closest equivalent to the QNAP TS453-BE in terms of capability/pricing ?
  2. What's the best 4-BAY Synology NAS models?
  3. Are the Synology NAS "quite" enough ? Do they go in sleep mode easily by shutting down the HDD when not in use ? (i'm asking this because i had a terrible experience with QNAP)
  4. Is the Synology OS reliable enough ? Security updates ? Is the web interface/gui fast enough ?
  5. Best specs for a 4bay Synology Nas for a home/semi pro user: 4 Multimedia streaming is a must ! Running some professional work stuff from time to time (VMs, development environment, Docker)
Thanks for your feedbacks.

What's the best 4-BAY Synology NAS models?
DS923+
Do they go in sleep mode easily by shutting down the HDD when not in use ?
Rarely, unless the unit is used purely for storage..
4 Multimedia streaming is a must
If you need dynamic hardware transcoding, the DS423+ is your only option
Running some professional work stuff from time to time (VMs, development environment, Docker)
Only "plus" units will satisfy the requirement.

Upvote 0
Is it really noisy ?
This is subjective and drive dependent. For me, the noise is barely discernible. Others complain, and there are "velcro" mods that claim to reduce noise. Some have even swapped fans, though this is unsupported and success is limited.

Always best to locate the NAS in a well ventilated space away from normal living/sleeping areas.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
You can quiet drives with piece of Velcro on each drive sled. I’m doing it on 3x units with 7200 rpm Ironwolf’s!

This trick works on chassis feet also, especially when NAS is in an enclosed shelf. This would prevent shelf acting like a speaker enclosure.

I never saw one, but I bet you could adapt that “Velcro Trick” to a Q-Nap device as well!

Use the ‘fuzzy’ side of Velcro

Upvote 0
Synology generally make quality products with a good OS (DSM). That said, the main criticisms that some of us have is that Synology is trending toward locking down NAS models to their proprietary rebranded 3rd hard drives and RAM, and DSM updates since DSM 7 was released are very buggy.

Upvote 0
Synology generally make quality products with a good OS (DSM). That said, the main criticisms that some of us have is that Synology is trending toward locking down NAS models to their proprietary rebranded 3rd hard drives and RAM, and DSM updates since DSM 7 was released are very buggy.
Does this mean i can't use my own WD ou Seagate hard drive ? I'm planning to use my 8TB hdd from my QNAP format them and put them in the new Synology (if i ever buy one - still researching)

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Does this mean i can't use my own WD ou Seagate hard drive
Synology threatens to withhold tech support if they can tie noncompliant devices to the issue you raise with them. But otherwise, any SATA drive should be fine.

Upvote 0
Does this mean i can't use my own WD ou Seagate hard drive ?
Also, be sure to check the compatibility page for each NAS here:

Upvote 0
Very buggy is a subjective statement. My systems have been running rock solid in DSM7 since day 1.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.